Question for ***jackiedon***

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkiebeginer, Aug 10, 2007.

1. silkiebeginer

silkiebeginer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Could you check out my pics listed under UPDATE ***I HAVE BABIES*** Pics on this one. I have 2 silver looking chicks that I hatched yesterday, it was a feather legged assortment from Meyer Hatchery. Does your chick look like them? I was thinking maybe they were blue silkies but maybe they are not.
    Thanks if u can help.

Jennifer

2. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Do they have 5 toes? Silkies are supposed to have 5 toes; occasionally, you will see one with 4 toes, but they almost always have 5.

3. silkiebeginer

Jul 31, 2007
    Yes they do have 5 toes, my 2 orange looking ones also have 5 toes. Are there other feather legged breeds that have 5 toes?
    Thanks, jennifer

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  4. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Far as I know, only Silkies have 5 toes, but I'm not absolutely posititive about that.

Anyone know for sure?

5. silkiebeginer

Jul 31, 2007
    I have been trying to compare my chics to the chicks in the McMurry Hatchery catalog, I think I have figured out 2 but I wouldn't lay money on it,lol. I bought these at Meyer due to it being closer to my home. Plus free ship on all egg orders. Their fertility rate was 18 out of 20 and the hatch rate was great. I bought 25, 5 was broken on arrival, two were not fertile, two died before hatch time and the rest are great.
    Plus my son had put mixed breed chic eggs in there and they hatched too. All to gether out of 20 eggs in bator 18 hatched.

Jennifer

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I posted a pic of my blue silkie on the other page for you.

7. silkiebeginer

Jul 31, 2007
    Thanks poison Ivy, they look really similar to yours.
    Jennifer

8. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Yes, mine looks like yours. Mine doesn't have the yellowish tints to it like Poison Ivy's chick has.

jackie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by