Question for land owners

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Arkantex, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    This is aimed at you guys who have a good little bit of land. I have 10 acres and am trying to decide where to put my coop/run. I was going to build it onto my shed, but my shed is just temoprary. When I tear down the shed and build a shop, I don't want to have to do the same with my coop. I was just wondering how close to the house you guys like your coop/run. Also, what other factors came into play when you decided where to build yours. Thanks

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I also live on 10 acres, I wanted the coops close enough to see/hear it, not too far from a water supply (which in the winter is of course inside) and easily accessible even in winter. But...far enough away as to not smell it, sometimes in the spring when we have lots of rain the run gets a little pungent!

You can just see the house in the background of this pic

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I think the biggest issue for me would be predators. What is in your area that you have to worry about?
    Streams that flood in the rain?
    placement to septic/water supply?
    And if you are considering Guinea fowl.... You had better have some very patient (deaf) neighbors!

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I wish my coop was just outside my backdoor so I could throw treats to them easily. But I am glad that it is out away from the house so I get off this computer once in a while....

5. flyingtnh

flyingtnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Ours is maybe 60-70 yards from the door. Our bedroom window is pointed that way, and even with some trees in the way and their window pointed the other direction, you can still hear the rooster crow before sunrise, if that bugs you. Doesn't bug me much - I'm up by 5 or earlier most days anyhow.

I didn't do a whole lot of deciding - we converted an existing emu nesting hut the previous owner had built. Already had full electrical service and a FF hydrant next to it. Sweet.

Only downside is that it's pretty dark out that way, and it'll be a bit of a hike going out to check on them on a cold snowy night. I don't think that's much of a downside.

I might want it closer if I had a lot of problems with predators, had to run electric to it, or I was going to be hauling water. None of those are factors right now.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Probably 100 feet from the house. I didn't build it there though, we just decided to turn it into a coop when we moved here. The house sits on one side of a driveway while the coop is on the other side. From the living room I can watch the girls in their pasture and the boys in theirs.

7. sulco

sulco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2011
    Up in da UP, eh!
    We have 10 acres as well. Our coop/run is on the back side of our garage which is only ~20 feet from our house... so coop distance is ~50' or so from our house. We want the flock to free range, so having it close-by helps keep an eye on them as we do our activities throughout the day. Plus they're close enough that if there is some kind of ruckus (like when my dog got inside the run), we can be there pronto. Plus it's nice to sit on the deck and listen to the chicken-chatter and gossip about how the dog's breath stinks or the cat seems to be putting on a little weight. HOWEVER, the downside is the occasional poo on the sidewalk, driveway, and grass where we play... we don't go barefoot.

8. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    We are on a acre of land, at the back of our property there was a shed & greenhouse about 150 yards from the back deck. So instead of building a new coop, hubby suggested we just convert the greenhouse to a chicken coop. It is close enough that I can see them through the living room windows & far enough away that I do not smell them. [​IMG]
    The shed has electricity, so I was able to put a fan in the coop to help during out very hot Texas summer, and I will be able to hang a heat lamp & put a light on a timer during the winter.

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Far enough away (100+ ft) to keep the flies and odors away from the house, a bit. Our barn lays NE of the house, as this is a rare wind direction for us. Not so far as to make a trek out of going out there. The farther you go, the more expensive it is to run the power out to it, as well.

10. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I have 4 acres, My coop is down hill and way to far away. I would put it downwnd of your home for those wet times. The run does get pungent if it is large. [​IMG] Even if you use the lime and De in it. The coop is clean and does not smell here. Just the run. If I had to do it over again. I would put it on the morning side of the yard so morning sun would wake and warm them. The trees would shade them in the evening. Also close enough for electricity and water hookups. Since I am on a steep hill and have over 70 plus steps downhiill to get there in the snow; [​IMG] I would put it level with the house. Access is very important. Esp. As you age some. [​IMG] It would be nice to dash out and give treats any time instead having to make an appt time to go. lol Also warm water would be easy to get or a few eggs quick for bkf. gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by