Question for Maran owners

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JayBird+16, Jan 17, 2009.

1. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    I have a little cuckoo maran that just started laying. Her eggs are a regular shade of brown. I was wondering how long it will take for her to start laying darker eggs?

2. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Marans eggs are darkest at the begining of there laying cycle. They probably wont get much darker then what they are now.

Chef

3. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    My coppers were the darkest at the beginning of their cycle and I still get them with "real " dark splatters on them . So unless it was her very first try at an egg that is the color she will more than likely lay. I have hatched cuckoos and they were from pretty dark eggs , however mine are not old enough to lay yet.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    if you got them from a hatchery then what you see is what you get. If you want real dark eggs you need to get them from a breeder.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Like has already been said....they are pretty much the darkest they're going to get at the beginning of their laying cycle. If you got her from a hatchery those usually don't lay very dark eggs.

6. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    where did you get her???
    i got a few from.. mcMurray (i think) this last year and they dont lay SUPER dark eggs like some of them do.. just DARK eggs..
    they are supposed to start out super dark and get lighter before they moult.. then return to dark..(if i understand correctly)
    these are eggs i got over the last few days.. the darkest ones are marans but they are not super chcolate like they are supposed to be..

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by