1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question For More Experienced Hatchers!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Faerytalefarm, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    I have one chick that was the first to pip yesterday morning but after that nothing more. I have had 15 others pip and hatch since the first one pipped. I have no intention of risking the rest of my pipped chicks for this one but wondered what would make it quit at this late point?

2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:Some times it just takes a while. The chick may have pipped before all the veins had dried out or before it had absorbed all it's yolk. Just let it be it might still finish hatching. I have had some take several days before they finish hatching.

3. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011
    Quote:Some times it just takes a while. The chick may have pipped before all the veins had dried out or before it had absorbed all it's yolk. Just let it be it might still finish hatching. I have had some take several days before they finish hatching.

I appreciate your taking the time to share that information. I will let it be and just see what happens. Thank you [​IMG]

4. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Yes, leaving it be would be the best thing to do. If it doesn't hatch then it doesn't hatch. I hate having chicks pip then die. It may make it, but if you have others hatching, then leave it alone.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If the chick is taking over 24 hrs to hatch something might be wrong. It could be stuck. Sometimes they can take 24 hrs or more from pip to hatch. I let them go at least 24 hrs then if I need to I will carefully pick off the shell around the area the chick would normally zip without tearing the membrane and with a Q-tip or my finger I moisten the membrane where I picked off the shell then wrap the egg in a warm moist towel and put it back into the incubator. After a while if the chick doesn't hatch then I help it. If I see any blood I stop and immediately but the egg back into the incubator for a while longer. Then if the egg doesn't hatch I help it out. Sometimes they die but sometimes many live. I had a hatch last weekend where one chick had pipped so I zipped it but after another day in the hatcher it still hadn't hatched. It had shrunk wrapped. It's poor little feet were all curled. I finally hatched it and cleaned it up and put it in one of the hatchers as the other chicks were picking on it. I did hand feed it for several days. Its little feet did uncurl by but it still had spraddle legs. I think that is why it didn't hatch in the first place as in the beginning it couldn't walk. It is now normal in every way except is is smaller than the rest of the chicks but it is eating, drinking, sleeping and pooping.

6. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011
    Glad to hear your chick hatched and seems fine now. I do believe to some extent that if they are meant to survive then they will hatch. I'm hoping it will hatch overnight but won't be surprised if it doesn't. Thanks for the details though just in case I do cave and try to help it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by