Question for more seasoned duck owners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ashes29, Feb 25, 2017.

1. ashes29

ashes29 New Egg

Feb 24, 2017
    Hello everyone. I am new to the forum but have a question that I'm hoping more seasoned duck owners can help me sort out. I have owned two Indian runner ducks since they hatched last spring. They have a fully fenced pen, duck house and have been kept indoors during our New England winter storms. My aunt came over the other day and let them out and neglected to put them back before leaving. One of them has gone missing. My remaining duck is a mess and it's breaking my heart. The one that is missing was very much the alpha and now my remaining duck is lost. When we used to come outside they would immediately start making noise to be let out. Now she is cowering in the back of her house and will not come out. She has barely eaten. We brought her inside last night and she perked up a little bit, she ate a little and became more vocal. But when we went back outside with her today she was immediately withdrawn, quiet and went to hide in a safe space. None of this is normal and while I understand it, I want to fix it. The farmer we bought her from will take her back, if absolutely necessary. However he thinks it will be more traumatic for her to lose her one companion then be thrust into an established flock of 40+ ducks and other animals. I don't want to get another adult that she may not get along with but also don't want her to be alone until we can get a duckling large enough and established to live outdoors with her. I don't know what to do and I desperately want to help her. If you can, please give me some insight. Having ducks before what would you do? What do you think would help her the most in the end? Thanks for your time and expertise, I'm so torn up about this.

2. ashes29

ashes29 New Egg

Feb 24, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. ashes29

ashes29 New Egg

Feb 24, 2017
    My grey one is the one who went missing :,(

4. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Try putting an unbreakable mirror where your remaining ducky can see it. It may trick her into thinking she's got a friend. I've seen people mention it work with great success.

1 person likes this.
  5. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I'm so sorry your duck is sad, ducks form such strong bonds that it's heartbreaking to see them suffer. Is there any chance of finding the missing duck? Any chance someone could have taken it inside when they saw it out in the cold? I accidentally stole someone's duck once. It appeared to have been abandoned but it had just wandered too far from home. Maybe try calling animal shelters or checking your local Facebook page? I really hope you can find your duck.

1 person likes this.
  6. mlh328

mlh328 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2016
    Butte, MT
    I'm sorry! Have you checked around to make sure nobody around you took her in? Our maybe the local animal shelter? I hope she (or he?) turns up. I would think it would be easier on her to take to one new duck than to take to a whole new strange flock. I would lean toward an adult companion. Maybe try a shatter proof mirror to keep her company in the meantime, she's lonely. Again, sorry!

1 person likes this.
  7. ashes29

ashes29 New Egg

Feb 24, 2017
    I contacted animal control and posted on local Facebook pages with photos. Nothing yet, but it's only been a couple of days. We did find some of her feathers in the neighbors yard and they have 3 dogs that don't stay in their yard so I'm concerned one of them hurt or killed her. It would be awesome [​IMG]if she came back but if she doesn't I really want to make my other duck feel better, the whole thing is so sad.

8. mlh328

mlh328 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2016
    Butte, MT
    @AdalidaI think we were typing at the same time! Sorry for the repeats!

9. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If the farm you got her from is willing to give/sell you an adult, that really is the best way to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by