Question for my vegetarian and vegan friends

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KristyHall, Mar 15, 2013.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    How did you end up becoming vegetarian, vegan, pescetarian, or vegetableatarian? Was it slow? All at once? Was it a conscious decision, one you were raised in, or something that just sort of happened? Was it for health reasons or ethical reasons or simply didn't like a particular food anymore?

As a child I tried to become a vegetarian for ethical reasons. That lasted about a year. Through my teen years I became an avid meat eater, but I have noticed over the last five years I and my family are eating less and less meat. It isn't conscious on our part. Our diet has slowly shifted to a more bean, egg, and nut based diet for our protein.

The other day I opened my fridge trying to decide what to make for dinner and it struck me. We have almost no over processed grains, instead whole grain foods and pasta made form a mix of whole grains and legumes. I had a large bowl of boiled eggs i the fridge, still in their shell and a container full of cooked oatmeal that I make up in a large batch, to grab for a quick breakfast. We have loads of fresh veggies, the two freezers that I once kept packed with meat that I bought on sale is now outnumbered with frozen veggies, flour, and fruits.

We still have some processed foods like frozen cheese sticks, ramen noodles, and canned soups, but even those are usually cooked with vegetables from the fridge or freezer. My dry pantry is large sealed containers of different types of beans, legumes, and rice.

It has also become very hard for me to process my own chickens. I am beginning to find the smell of most meats unpleasant. I still love a good steak, locally raised bacon, and fresh lamb, but It is not a large craving as it use to be and when I cook them I tend to cover them up in lost of herbs to hide the smell of the meat cooking..

I have been tossing around the idea of going full vegetablatarian (Eating 99 percent of plant based products and 1 percent animal based.) I do not think I could give meat and animal products up all together though.

How common is this among people you know? Do you think I'm developing an allergy or is it just a natural progression for most vegetarians. Maybe it is reacting with my meds. I dunno. Maybe I'm just going over to the dark (green) side.

P.S. During spell check, the spell checker tried top replace "Vegetabletarian" with " godchildren". That is hilarious.

2. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I am very close to being full vegetarian. I just don't like meat the way most people do. I love bacon and ham, but I haven't had ham in, months (like close to a year) same with bacon. And bacon is so horridly bad for you and high cholesterol runs in my family so I must watch that. I do not need to have meat in my diet to feel satisfied. This preference for non-meat foods has just kind of been "me" my whole life. I am totally for the responsibly/ethically raised meats. Our hay supplier gave us some of his beef (so thankful for that) and I know how those cows were raised. I would love to find a chicken meat supplier. I have in no way a set of rules, I do love animal products such as dairy and am fan of seafood. Moderation in all things is good.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I was born into the vegetarian lifestyle. Several other family members have been vegetarians for decades. I've never eaten meat but originally ate dairy and eggs. I no longer like the taste of eggs so I haven't eaten them in awhile. I gave up milk completely two years ago. Right now I'm on a vegan diet but I will probably eventually go back to occasionally eating cheese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by