Question For New Yorkers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by First To Hatch, May 2, 2008.

1. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    I'm liking this whole hatching and incubator thing can't wait to raise chicks, I was wondering if I were to incubate 42 eggs every month, if would people be interested in young chicks, roosters and hens that are 6-12 weeks old. Was thinking of hatching out birds that are hardy for NYs cold winters, docile, and hens that'll rear chicks I'd want to incubate Cochins, Naked Necks, Orpingtons, and Plymouth rocks and anything else someone might want. I mainly would want to do this cause incubating is pretty fun, it can be hard finding chickens in NY sometimes, you won't have to keep waiting till your feed store is stocked up again on chicks, if you dont want to raise from chicks you'll get that option, and last but not least I want to sell chicks cheaper then the feed stores and sell the animals at a resonable price.

Note this is just an idea no gurantee of it happening.

Thanks

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Due to the wide range of locales, maybe trying a posting at your local feed store or craiglist might be able to help. Might check out the where am I, where are you thread to see if there's one for NY.

[​IMG]

3. gypsygirl1421

gypsygirl1421 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Albany, NY
    I would be interested in Orpingtons. For some reason, there doesn't seem like there are many NYers on this site. I am in a rural area and there aren't that many people who keep chickens. Of course, that may be because its the land of the weekend houses. All the people from NYC buy these big pieces of land, build a huge house than do nothing with the land but complain about the deer eating their expensive landscaping. But god forbid you ask to hunt it, the shock and horror of the idea! Ahhh getting to vent a little is soo nice.

4. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Where in New York? I'd much prefer to get chicks from a local breeder, but it's a big state and I'm not going to travel that far.

I think you'd do well in the fingerlakes area where I am. In fact, I'd kind of considered going into the breeding side of things myself....

5. gypsygirl1421

gypsygirl1421 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Albany, NY
    Actually, I am looking for some Buff Orpington chicks now. Do you have any available?

6. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    I am in Lockport, NY about 25 minutes from Buffalo. Where are you? Would love bantams!

Quote:

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Hey! I live in Nebraska now, but I grew up near you! Have you ever heard of Knowlesville? It's right between Medina and Albion.

8. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Hello! I think that Knowlesville is in Orleans County right?
    What took you to Nebraska?
    Michele

Quote:Hey! I live in Nebraska now, but I grew up near you! Have you ever heard of Knowlesville? It's right between Medina and Albion.

9. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in NY but I hatch my own. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by