Question for outdoor quail experts

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Hubbyofbirdlady, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Hubbyofbirdlady

Hubbyofbirdlady New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Okay first of all my wife has raised all sorts of indoor birds; finches of all kinds, diamond doves, canaries, and perrolletts all in one huge indoor aviary and all live very well together.

Outside we have a dove/pigeon aviary that we open roof window every morning so they can go fly around and come back before dusk then we shut them in.

They are all my wifes pets :)

But I am going to build another outdoor aviary or chicken coop quail coop and run. The following is what I want to do:

1. inside the Chicken coop will be also be a quail coop that also has an outdoor cage inside the run area. This quail coop and cage will be only for my laying quail hens and breeding roosters (so 2 roosters to 7 hens). the over ratio roosters I want to put in with the laying chickens and will have access to the outdoor run as well as share the inside of the chicken coop with two laying chicken hens only. These male quail will be caught from time to time for meat. I also want to introduce this aviary run with a Chinese golden pheasant for "pet" not food or eggs.

2. So the question is, can I do this?

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    In general, it's not recommended to keep chicken and quail near each other. If they are kept together, the chickens might peck at the quail and if they are kept in separate enclosures right beside each other there is a risk the quail will catch diseases from the chickens. There are diseases of which chickens usually show no symptoms, which can kill quail. Not to say it absolutely can't be done - you might be lucky. But beware of the risk.
    I'd also reconsider that breeding group - 2 roos in a cage with hens gives a much increased risk of fighting. And actually one roo can keep 7 hens at a pretty decent fertility, so I'd stick with one.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hubbyofbirdlady

Hubbyofbirdlady New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    okay thank you DK newbie, I will do ONE roo with the hens, but still considering the chickens in one enclosure because that is all I have room for in my yard and I have seen some videos on youtube that has all kinds of mixed pens.

4. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Standard sized chickens would probably attack the quail and you shouldn't keep chickens with pheasants (or any game bird, quail included) because of the diseases chickens carry but show no outward sign of having, Coryza being the one most people have problems with their game birds catching from chickens. It can all seem fine for ages until you get a nasty outbreak. Pheasants would also attack and kill the quail and some will attack chickens too from what I've read. You'd be best to butcher all the extra quail males and fill your freezer than trying to house them longer term.

Pheasants also need spaceous and tall aviaries so they can fly with places to roost up high.

1 person likes this.
  5. Hubbyofbirdlady

Hubbyofbirdlady New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    I am leaning to pheasants now instead of chickens. Have not read much on eating pheasant eggs though.

6. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Pheasants are so beautiful. I don't think they lay many eggs though. You could probably keep larger, less domesticated quail such as bobwhites or valley quail, or maybe partridges with them in a big, well planted aviary but it sounds like it depends on the particular pheasant as to whether he will tolerate them. Pea fowl seem to be a common cage mate for pheasants (another bird I would love to have). We aren't allowed to keep either where we currently are but one day...

I'm sure there are people on the pheasant forum who will give you some advice about the best cage mates for them.

7. Hubbyofbirdlady

Hubbyofbirdlady New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Well for sure I am going with the coturnix quail. Their benefits for you outweigh most others from what I understand. So still thinking on how to pull the chicken thing off with a coop design but if not the pheasant would be my next choice.

8. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    I've kept my Golden's PH with my quail and there does not seem to be much of a problem. However, I don't think I would put quail in with my ring necks as they act more aggressive.
    Disease wise, I maintain my birds on preventives as best I can about 4 times a year (worming, and coccidia?) and have not had any problems. Still it is better if you can separate the birds. I would not put quail with chickens nor would I even consider the thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by