1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question for owners of automatic doors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hallerlake, Oct 15, 2011.

1. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I love the idea of the coops opening automatically in the morning, so I could sleep in, but I worry about the doors shutting before everyone is inside in the evening. Some of my chickens need to be reminded they don't roost in trees. Have those of you who have automatic doors found that to be a problem?

2. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Havn't had a problem with any girls hanging around in the run and getting locked out. They all go in like clockwork and I've set the door timer for alittle after they all go in, just to be sure. We love ours, not havning to go out early to let them out or in the evening to lock them in. Also great for when we are away. Good luck.
    Erik

3. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I really like the convenience of the automatic door. During the summer it does not make any difference as I leave their pop door open all the time. However, with the winter coming and the days being shorter I always use the auto door. I set it to close at about 8:30PM, which is about one hour after they all go inside so I have never had an issue with anyone getting locked out. In the morning I have automatic lights that go on at 5:00AM in both the coop and the run so the auto door opens at that same time. I dont want them to be just locked in the coop when the lights come on and I do not want to have to get up at 5 to open the door. So the auto door is great in the morning also. Even though we are in Florida and we do not have really cold nights I feel better that the door is closed on the occasional chilly nights when it will get down below freezing for a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by