Question For Pagans

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by NYboy, Sep 1, 2011.

1. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    I know many Fables, Myths and Fairytales have pagan roots. Is Mother Nature a goddess? If so does she have any other names? Is there any prayer or blessing to show her respect? Thankyou a curious nature lover.

2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Well...
    What area of panganism are you talking about?

Pagan is a very broad spectrom

3. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Not a pagen, but I think the Gaea was known as Mother Earth, the
    Mother Nature.

4. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    I have friends with daughters named Maya and Gaia (for mother earth)...they're crunchy granola hipster types.[​IMG]

5. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    [​IMG] I bet i'd really like them!
    Quote:

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Google "gaia". Wikipedia's site should have answers for you. I had a quick look now...

7. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Gaia, Demeter, Tellus, Hertha, Erda, Jörd, Fjörgyn, Hlödyn, Etenoha, and Ina Maka. Just to name a few I can remember. It's generally best if you make up your own prayer, but if you can't come up with one I'm pretty sure I can find one for in one of my books. Now that I think about, my Pagan Prayer book might have one in it.

ETA: I went and found the book. I was wrong, it just has a general Goddess prayer. Now, off to find the rest of the books before I pack them all up.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  8. AngelaB

AngelaB Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Michigan
    I've heard her referred to all kinds of names and titles. Depends on your path.

9. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:Almost all of the religions of the world have some threads of commonality based in basic ideas. You're starting down a fascinating path if you're starting to study this. There are bunches of books on paganism that dwell on the mother earth relationship.....

Have fun!

10. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Yup. EVen the name "Bertha" meaning the Earth in German is stereotyped as a large, round woman.

Those "face on the tree" decorations that appear at Wal-mart come gardening season hearken back to old gods of nature and forests

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by