Question for parents of bantams/wild game birds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknhawaii, Aug 8, 2011.

1. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    In your experience, what is the egg-laying frequency for your girls?

I ask b/c I've seen several posts say that game bantams usually lay about 4 times a week while others say less.

I had also assumed that Uma would not lay as much as an RSL.

In the past 15 days, Uma has laid 14 eggs! Usually in the morning! [​IMG]

2. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I think it mostly depends on breeding, I have read that good SQ birds are closely bred so they tend to lay less often than utility birds. I think the closest thing I have are japanese and nankins and they are not everyday layers that's for sure and if the weather is bad it has a lot to do with it. Here in Texas we are hitting 110 heat index so even my leghorns are laying everyday!

3. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    My little hens will give me 12-13 eggs apiece in 14 days. They are mixed banty/game birds and good layers.

4. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    TY for the responses! [​IMG] Uma is still laying hehe but my RSLs, a little over 2-yr-old, aren't keeping up lol.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Most of my hens when on free range where natural forage is abundant and dominates intake can lay one each day for a week or two. Same birds confined with best store bought feed I have available have a hard time giving 5 eggs a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by