Question for people in my area- MS, LA, AL

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bantamboy93, Oct 5, 2011.

1. bantamboy93

bantamboy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Hey i've always been a 'spring' hatcher. Never attempted hatching chicks at this time of the year. I asked for people in this area because y'all know what kind of weather we're having. Do I have time to gather eggs and hatch chicks in time to beat the frost? In other words, will it be too cold for the chicks by the time they come out of the bator? It'd be November by then...

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    You would have to keep them indoors or in a very draft free and heated place until they FULLY feather out...

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I live in North Central Florida. My latest hatch of the year has been Nov. 1st. I do use a heat lamp for the first month and then only on nights where it is really cold I have a utility heater I have used too.

4. bantamboy93

bantamboy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Well, this is why i never hatch out this late. I just find it risky. I don't think i'm going to chance it. I just bought a trio of good quality Blue Red OEG's yesterday and i was wishing i could get some chicks out of them immediately. But, alas. It'll have to wait till spring.

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I hatch year round. I have had chicks hatch during ice storms. I have lost very few, and a little chick in the winter time is precious. You just have to make sure you have a good setup to brood them until they are old enough to be on their own.

6. rachelcb80

rachelcb80 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Mississippi
    I'm in the south eastern part of MS, though not coastal, and I have a batch of eggs ordered for the first week of November. I haven't thought twice about hatching at that time of the year. As long as you have a draft free coop with a heat lamp I would think you'd be fine.

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I've never hatched any out this time of year but I did buy chicks one October and never brought them in the house. Brooded them completly on the back porch. I cover part of the brooder with a tarp so it keeps the draft out and use a 250 heat lamp. Never lost one!! I'm trying to find some eggs to buy right now and do the same thing!! [​IMG]

8. angelamichelel

angelamichelel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    nw alabama
    I have 2 week old chicks oustide now and some hatching this weekend I don't think it would be to cold under a heat lamp and draft free coop. I remember Thanksgiving being extremely warm here the last couple of years. Im in NW Alabama

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by