1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question for people who know genetics stuff

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by v.cyr, Jan 31, 2012.

1. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    ok...one of our latest additions is a cross between our buff brahma rooster, Rocky, and one of our barred rock x buff orp cross hens( not entirely certain which one... we have 5)... anyways here he is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my question is , since he is barred, could I breed him to our brahma girls when he gets bigger, then breed any barred girls back to him to get a barred brahma(ie, get rid of the single comb and clean leg genes,but keep the barring)... I understand that it is a lot more complicated than that to really develop a variety and get it recognized, but I am not shooting for anything like that, just want some barred brahmas cause I think they would look cool...

2. v.cyr

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    hellooo????

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    that´s a Sex link... all boys will be barred(cuckoo) and all the girls will be nonbarred...

that is a boy. Why? Barring is a sex linked gene. since the hens will only get their Z gene from their dad(the Z gene is where the Barring gene is located) the hens can´t be barred but the boys will because they will get a copy of their mother´s Z chromozome...

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    just keep breeding his sons or doughters(barred ones ofcourse, he will have a 50% of producing barred chicks) back to Brahma... in about 3 more generations you will get nice looking barred/cuckoo looking birds..

5. v.cyr

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    so, we should breed back to our full brahmas, not back to Thor, then...

also, would breeding him(and his offspring) to a light brahma give better results than breeding to our buffs(don't have any lights... yet... but we wouldn't mind an exuse to get some this year...at least a better exuse than "we just want some")

6. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. v.cyr

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    nice...

8. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    I've never heard of a barred brahma before. When people try to create a new variety of a breed, would that variety produced be different as far as standard wise from the pure original of that breed? For example, if I tried to create a new variety of Orpington, letsay barred orps, and I succeeded, would my new varietys standards be totally different from a black Orpington? I'm just a little confused.

9. v.cyr

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    I am far from an expert, so hopefully someone who knows better than me can chime in, but my assumption is if you develop a new variety of a breed, you have to match it to the standard for the breed in everything except coloration

10. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri

An out cross to a light brahma would be ok. Barred rocks carry silver and that works well on them. The chick in the picture should carry a silver and a gold gene.

I would like to add this to what Nicalandia posted earlier. Once you have the pea comb and proper leg feathering established in black/barred offspring; I would suggest doing a sibling cross. You want to do this to produce offspring that have two extended black genes at the E locus. When you do this it will help stop any non black color that will show in the feathers. There is another gene called melanotic that you want homozygous in your birds: that means you want two of them in your birds. Once you have two extended black genes and two melanotic genes in your birds- they should stop showing red or white color in their feathers. By white I do not mean barring. Black males that do not have the proper kind and number of genes tend to leak red or white into their hackles and back feathers. Females are a different story- they can have the same genotype as male ( not including sex linked genes) and still be black while males will show some red or white. Once you get good solid black/barred males- you have accomplished your goal. The males will be a lighter barred color than the females. If your males color is like your females you do not have two barring genes in the males. Males that have one barring gene will throw non-barred/black females.

Tim

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by