Question for Silkie Breeders.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Litewings, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Litewings

Litewings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Hey guys, I've got 6 baby silkie chicks about 4 weeks old. I have them in a home made brooder with Beech shaving, waterer and a feeder. The problem is that they just love to rake all the food out of the feeder and scratch around in the floor for it. Is this normal?

[​IMG]

Litewings

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Not a breeder, but I am gonna go ahead and say YES it is very normal for chicks to do that. I go through so much chick start with babies it isn't even funny. I think they must like to watch themselves do it.

3. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Lol, those evil silkies. Last spring I had 3 Saipans and 1 silkie, all around 2 weeks old, and the only one who would ever scratch food around was the silkie. Pretty soon he had the others trained, and the brooder was never quite so clean afterwards. [​IMG]

It's perfectly normal. [​IMG]

4. Litewings

Litewings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Thanks Guys.

[​IMG]

Litewings

5. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    haha my silkie chicks do that every day! [​IMG]

6. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    They waste as much as they eat but it is a natural behavior for any breed to scratch eat --If they were free range that is how they's find food in the dirt ...

7. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

My Silkies do that some, but my Rhode Island Reds are much worse! They are much more "assertive" (is that a good way to put it???) about everything they do, including scratching out food and throwing stuff all over the brooder...LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by