Question for silkie hatchers....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I had a silkie chick that had not hatched by day 24 but had pipped the aircell. Long story short, at day 24 I realized there was something wrong and hatched the chick myself, knowing the possible consequences.

The problem was that the navel cord was wrapped around it's leg twice. [​IMG] It never did peep in the shell and I'm certain it likely had some oxygen deprivation and it died.

The question I have is this: this chick had a HUGE vaulted skull...at least it looked huge to me. Are they always large like that? I should have taken photos. I'm asking because I have another 10 silkie eggs that are due to hatch on Thursday and would like to be prepared...

2. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    I just hatched some Silkies last month...Had one that we call "Cone Head". This chick had a very vaulted skull. I will take pics of it when I get home from work. It was the only one like it though!

Probably not much help...But I will get a pic later for you.

3. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    I'll b a silkies hatching xpert soon! i'm looking 4 some1 to sell me some silkie eggs. i need them by Jan 28, here in GA.
    I wish i could help u, gator [​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Sometimes chicks with vaulted skulls need help hatching. I had to help out my buffs that had vaulted skulls. Sometimes they can pip the air sac, but because of the vault, cant pip the shell. Now That I know that, I moniter the eggs, and about 12-14 hours after I see them through the air sac, I put a small hole in the shell for them to breath. If they have no progress 12-14 hours later, I help them out.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That is good to know sundown. I have 20 silkie eggs in the bator right now, and it's my first time incubating silkies. I'll make sure to keep an eye on them.

6. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I too only had 1 with a very high vault, it pipped it shell though. But never zipped. after all the others had hatched I finally helped it zip. I think the vault makes it hard on them to hatch. How can you tell when they have pipped the membrane without taking them out the bator?

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    If you candle them you can usually see the beak up in the aircell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by