Question for silkie people

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by embkm, Apr 7, 2009.

1. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    I wish I could post pics, but my computer isn't liking my camera right now. [​IMG]

I got 2 chicks at my TSC (well, I got more.. but my question is about these 2) They both have black skin, 5 toes, and feathered legs. But 1 is easily twice the size of the other. The tiny one I found in the bantam bin. The other was in with the meaties and asst pullets. It was smaller than the others so I thought it was just put in the wrong bin. They look just alike except for size.

I thought they were Silkies, but now I'm not so sure. Neither has very "silkie-ish" feathers yet and they are about a month old. The feathers are different than the other chicks but not like the adult Silkies that I've seen. [​IMG]

I guess my questions are: Are there any other breeds of chicken that has black skin, 5 toes, and feathered legs? Or do Silkies vary in size by that much? And do they get the fluffy feathers later?

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    They are probably Silkies. I have some that hatched together and 1 is double the size of the others. Their wing feathers, which come in first, are not as "fluffy" as their other feathers, but should still look "shredded" on the ends.

3. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Oh OK! Thanks. They are a little shredded looking on the ends. I'm glad they are both silkies, now I just hope they are both girls (I know.. not asking for much am I? LOL!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by