Question for SLW folks

PtldChick

Songster
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Portland, OR
I have a SLW pullet (90%) I purchased from a local chicken/garden store. Their stock comes from a hatchery, not sure which one. She is now 7-8 weeks old and is not showing any signs of lacing on her body - just white spines on her black feathers. Her head/mantle looks normal. When does the lacing come in, or do I just have a really bad quality SLW?
sad.png
I realize hatchery birds are not SQ, but they are still supposed to look like the breed at least somewhat...

If she is a poor quality SLW, I will not buy from that particular store again, because the Salmon Faverolle I got from there at the same time was also poorly colored - lots of grey where there should have been white, so whatever hatchery they use, I'm not impressed.
tongue.gif

I just have a backyard flock, but I wanted a pretty one (no hybrids, just less common breeds, plus a few EEs). I'm wondering if I should re-home "Silver" to folks who are more interested in eggs than looks, and try again with another SLW, GLW or BW.
fl.gif

Thanks.

My 8-week old SLW's are like yours and have almost no lacing. Mine came from Meyer hatchery, so I did not expect SQ either. But, I noticed on other young SLW's on BYC photos that many of them do not have much lacing either. Maybe they have to get older. One can only hope!!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom