Question for SLW folks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PtldChick, Jun 29, 2011.

1. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have a SLW pullet (90%) I purchased from a local chicken/garden store. Their stock comes from a hatchery, not sure which one. She is now 7-8 weeks old and is not showing any signs of lacing on her body - just white spines on her black feathers. Her head/mantle looks normal. When does the lacing come in, or do I just have a really bad quality SLW? [​IMG] I realize hatchery birds are not SQ, but they are still supposed to look like the breed at least somewhat...

If she is a poor quality SLW, I will not buy from that particular store again, because the Salmon Faverolle I got from there at the same time was also poorly colored - lots of grey where there should have been white, so whatever hatchery they use, I'm not impressed. [​IMG]

I just have a backyard flock, but I wanted a pretty one (no hybrids, just less common breeds, plus a few EEs). I'm wondering if I should re-home "Silver" to folks who are more interested in eggs than looks, and try again with another SLW, GLW or BW. [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    My 8-week old SLW's are like yours and have almost no lacing. Mine came from Meyer hatchery, so I did not expect SQ either. But, I noticed on other young SLW's on BYC photos that many of them do not have much lacing either. Maybe they have to get older. One can only hope!! [​IMG]

3. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    From the photos I've seen from other folks that have gotten hatchery birds, the lacing just takes a longer time to feather in.

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Thanks, PeakyBeaky.

I know where Bellefonte is, I attended college right up the road...Go Lions! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by