Question for smokers

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
I want to preface this question with a disclaimer: I don't have a problem with a person choosing to smoke. That is their business and I will gladly keep my nose out of other people's business. Now on to my question. As a smoker, do you realize how far the smell travels and how long it can linger? We were out at dinner tonight and there was a nearby table of young men who went out to smoke at one point. When they came back, the smell was so bad that my husband took the kids outside and we cut our dinner short just to get away as soon as possible. I was sitting about 10-15ft away and it was horrible! Does the person smoking not even smell it anymore? I wonder that when I end up behind someone in line at a store and have to hold my breath against the smell. Does that person not even realize they stink or do they just not care?

I am a smoker, but you knew that. I can honestly tell it depends on the brand. I used to smoke a brand that Ken told me stunk, and he smokes too. So I switched and I don't smell. I KNOW I don't because my mom doesn't smoke and I can have a cigarette right before going in and she doesn't comment. And she would if she could TRUST ME.

lol the issue is not whether you know if 'you' stink. The issue is whether you know how much your stink bothers other people. It's as if I went around farting everywhere I went, because I don't care, or it's my right....
I in fact (in another country), have gone up to people smoking in a restaurant, and purposefully farted in their face to let them know what it's like for me. Thankfully, I live in CA, where it's illegal to smoke in or near public buildings. I have on many occasion complained at a restaurant that I smell smoking. It's usually due to law breaking citizens, smoking near the doors. They are always put in their proper place, because the waitperson does not want to lose my tip.

roll.png
Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I smoke outdoors. Always.

I also wait a few minutes so I'm not carrying that ashtray fresh smell around.

I know I have smelled smoke on me a few times and if I do I try to get a shower asap. I smoke but I don't like the smell. Yeah I know.

I also don't smoke near people unless they are smoking. Away from entrances, etc. If someone can smell my smoking from the distances I try to keep they are too close to me. If they see me way over there or I walk away from where I see them coming then they can get over it. I've had people walk up behind me in a vacant area of a huge parkinglot to tell me how horrible I am.

hmmmm

Quote:
Here Here. My thoughts exactly. Some people I know ALWAYS smell like smoke, so much that it offends me, and I AM a smoker... I really do think it depends on the brand/type.

My thoughts exactly as well. I know some guys at work (who smoke cheaper brands.....) and they stink like an ashtray, even when I smoke it bothers me, and I'm there so I KNOW how often they've been out on smoke break. (ie, they aren't chain smoking enough to seem like they should smell that bad) Others don't smell that way, and again I know when/how often they are smoking as well. It's got to be the brands.

When hubbs smoked Grand Prix, those things stink and make him stink too. When he smokes Marlboros, he doesn't stink so bad. Definitely worth the extra $ IMO.

No, they do not. My husband smokes, a lot. When I tell him I can smell it on his clothes and they stink, he thinks I'm overreacting. When he sits on the porch and leaves the door open, and I ask him to close it cause the smell is permeating every room of the house, he thinks I'm picking on him. I used to smoke and never noticed the smell. when I first woke up in the morning I could occasionally smell it on yesterdays clothes if I had to do laundry right away, but after my first cigarette my nose was numb to it. I know most smokers are not intentionally rude.

We ALWAYS smoke outside. No smoke in the house because it permeates everything. Yes it is a disgusting habit, and yes I continue. People don't realize just how hard it is to quit.

I have asked co-workers if I stink. They say they can smell right after I have one but it not overwhelming and it doesn't last long. I swear it is the brand of cigarette.

Back
Top Bottom