Question for the Goat owners

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Catz1611, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Catz1611

Catz1611 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    Fredericksburg VA.
    I have a 6 month old LaMancha Goat. We have always wanted goats and he is our first one. As of now he is intact....But he is soon to be castrated.

My problem with him right now is his horns.

What do I have to do to train him NOT to rear up at me as if I am another goat ? and How do I get him NOT to put his horns on me and push?

If I have my water bottle he doesn't try to rear up at me and he doesn't push but If I don't have it then he thinks it's goat play time.

Anyone got any advice? he is a pet and I don't want to make him mean.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Getting another goat to be a companion will help a lot, even if it is another wether. Goats do so much better in pairs or in groups since they are herd animals.

If you can only keep the one goat, you may want to train him like you would a dog. Give treats when he behaves and ignore him when he pushes with his head. Whatever you do, don't push back since that will encourage him to push harder, even if he is just doing it in a playful manner.

We keep our goats horned and we have had no problems with any accident involving horns. However, if you are bent over and eye level, you'll want to keep an eye on them just in case. Most of time a level-headed goat will not hurt you intentionally.

Also, I would like to invite you to join www.backyardherds.com, which is a sister site to BYC!

3. Catz1611

Oct 8, 2010
    Fredericksburg VA.
    Thank you so much for your post! I appreciate it.

We are planning on getting another goat in the Spring time. . and I confess, have been pushing him back but not by the horns, I have been pushing him away by his shoulders and giving a stern "NO". In my ignorance, I probably encouraged the behavior. [​IMG] rats!

I'll take your advice and carry treats with me to encourage the good behavior until we can get a buddy for him. right now his favorite playmate is a Rooster. it is pretty funny to watch them chase each other and square off. Though this morning, the Goat got a little too excited so I had to break it up.

And Thank you for the invite to the Backyard herd forum! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  4. Patty13637

Patty13637 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Northern New York
    I would not take this as play . An adult male with horns no less can hurt or kill you . when mature he will weigh 200 maybe even 300lbs.

At 6 months and being intact he is showing his stuff not just playing . He needs to be cut asap and a total stop put to this at once. Do not come at him head to head you will not win . Come at him from the side and act like you are going to kill him til he backs down . He needs to know you are boss , no questions asked.

Patty

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I have 2 goats. Both males. Everything in tact and both have horns. He is young and with constant training he will learn. I have had many bruises from mine and I squirt them. The treats do work also. Our's are not fixed because we are going to get some females. Just keep working with them and they will learn. If you google goats their are lots of sites about training them. Good luck and it will work out well. Sorry had to edit. No do not push on them to them this is a game. And they will win.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  6. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    a spray bottle with cold water helps. leash training and treats. i would also get another goat.

7. Catz1611

Oct 8, 2010
    Fredericksburg VA.
    Thank you for the input ya'll! I appreciate everyone's Posts.[​IMG]

My Goat "Billy" (yes, that IS his name..haha) puts his head down and pushes on my calf or ankle and today when he did it, I tried to just ignore him and walked away from him till he stopped.

I noticed though he is throwing his head around more.. he was doing it a lot this afternoon when I was working with him and So I put him on his side and held him there for a second. I also went and got the squirt bottle and hosed him down with it.

I have noticed also that his fur is raised along his back when rearing..so I am inclined to agree he is showing his "stuff" and those will be coming off as soon as I can get the vet out to do it. I am just waiting on the call back to set the appt.

I did him some grain and a good scratch when he came to me nicely.

I had a collar on him but I am scared he will get hung up on something and choke himself. I may look into getting a halter for his face. I agree..I can't have a 200lb out of control Goat.

8. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 1 bottle raised goat Chaz who thinks im his mama. My husband has stopped going to feed them when Im not there coz Chaz gets his horns and gets him in the erm.....jewels. He has also tried to head butt him too. My neighbour came round 1 day to help me do their feet and Chaz raied up to head but her, she ran after him screaming, grabbed him by the horns and straddled him, wrestling with his horns and not letting Chaz move. Now when she comes round and goes in there Chaz moves away from her and is very polite and out of her space. He has never done it again.

9. Catz1611

Oct 8, 2010
    Fredericksburg VA.
    Quote:[​IMG] That happened to my husband the other day! I heard a yelp and asked what had happened..I started to laugh but then realized it could have been bad if the horn had actually caught him.. yikes!

And good on yer neighbor! [​IMG]

10. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] That happened to my husband the other day! I heard a yelp and asked what had happened..I started to laugh but then realized it could have been bad if the horn had actually caught him.. yikes!

And good on yer neighbor! [​IMG]

Oh Chaz has caught him a few times. Its funny but he has never tried it with my dad or mum and they only come over from Scotland every 2 years to visit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by