Question for the hatching egg pros.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kbell, Nov 14, 2011.

1. kbell

kbell Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    Chickamauga GA
    I was told yesterday that regulating the temp in the incubator the last few days would create more hens.

Whats your take on this? Just curious, I had never really heard it before. Thanks, Kim in GA [​IMG]

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    This is total myth. Sex is set at conception, i.e. before the egg is incubated or even actually laid.

Regulating the temp in the incubator CAN however affect what percentage of each sex will survive the incubation process.

I can't remember which it is, but temps higher than 99.5 will kill more males than females, or the other way round, and ditto in reverse with temps lower than 99.5. But at best it would probably give you something like a 60:40 ratio rather than a 50:50 one, and that would only be overall, out of many hundreds or thousands of eggs hatched, and not guaranteed for any one hatch.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:This is a myth actually temps over I think 102 will kill off the males and if it runs consistently low then the females die. (Don't remember the temp).

The sex ratio of Reptiles is known to be strongly influenced by temperature. If the eggs are kept at 86F the hatchlings are all female and at 91.5F they are all male.

4. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    makes me want to kick the temps up a degree.

5. idispatch4911

idispatch4911 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Quote:Me too! Is that bad? HA HA HA!

6. TownhouseSeramas

TownhouseSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:I was thinking about that to. I have to many males to begin with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by