Question for the "Mallard People".

QuackerJackFarms

Songster
8 Years
Jun 26, 2011
Missouri
Is there a difference between Mallards that you buy in a feed store and Mallards that are wild? So basically, is there a "domesticated mallard"? (Not Rouens)

The reason I ask is these 3 mallards that I have, that I thought were Rouens when I got them, seem to be bigger than the wild mallards on the pond.

Yes, that's why my question is kinda confusing. I know what I have are Mallards because they are not near as big as the Rouen. But they are bigger than wild Mallards. I read somewhere that there is a difference in the Mallards you buy and the Mallards in the wild, but I can't find any definate information on it. I figured someone here is going to know!

Thanks!

The people at TSC where I bought mine said that ours were domesticated Mallards. I was also on a website( I forget which one) but they were selling both wild Mallards, and domesticated ones. I have no idea what the difference is though.

Having spent years working on wild mallards, I can tell the difference. There are differences in the amount and location of white on the bird, culmen length (generally the first give away), and general stance and structure.

Unfortunately, many breeders of "wild" mallrds have no problems with having "domestic" mallard hens and allowing wild drakes to breed them so there are alot of intergrades passed off as "wild" mallards.

Clint

Thanks Clint. I posted a pic of the drake. Maybe you can see more from it.

Thanks to everybody for the comments.

97743_019.jpg

From that pic, he looks pretty good. Culmen looks good. I am a little concerned about the lightness of the tertials, but he's in the molt and it is a photo. I'd like to see more of a profile.

Clint

Quote:
Clint I never would have thought of seeing you post here! I was going to mention that often domestic birds are larger than wilds. but I am not about to dispute with a true professional. I have made a note of your screen name here so I can watch for you. I don't remember if I am using ~gd or the full goosedragon on here. ~gd

Quote:
Clint I never would have thought of seeing you post here! I was going to mention that often domestic birds are larger than wilds. but I am not about to dispute with a true professional. I have made a note of your screen name here so I can watch for you. I don't remember if I am using ~gd or the full goosedragon on here. ~gd

Yeah, I knew who you are! Actually don't have much time to post. I'm in the field or travelling most days and can only access the site from work. Actually leaving later today to look for willets in Upper Barataria Bay. We hope to put transmitters on some in the next couple of weeks.

Clint

Back
Top Bottom