Question for those around DC and area. Didn't get it this time

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, Jan 6, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I am being considered for an Einstein Fellowship in Washington D.C. for next year from Sept - Aug. It pays a $6000 stipend plus $1000 living expenses per month. What is rent like and where would the cheapest be? I also have to consider it would be Steven's Senior year in high school and of course he would be with me. I won't know until March if I get it or not but I need to know a bit about the area so I could decide if I even want to accept it if it's offered. My District Super. recommended me for it, she's also a Senator from our state.
    Kat

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

so your total would be 7K a month for the 2 of you?

You'll be fine if thats the case...depending on a few things really.

Are you putting your son in private school or DC schools? [​IMG] DC public school system is horrible (sorry, hope i dont offend anyone, but its the truth) - I'd check EVERY school system before deciding on where you want to live - that is the major player in my opinion. There are good school and bad schools, both public and private -however most northern VA schools are overcrowded as it is.

Go a bit out - like Chantilly, Centreville, areas and commute - or even up into MD if possible (like Frederick) - stay away from Fairfax (EXPENSIVE AS HECK) - or go down to the Ft. Belvoir/ Woodbridge/ Dale City area and commute up to DC. Bedroom communities...look there also.

Any way you look at it, its going to be expensive - very very expensive, but again, on 7K a month (net vs. gross) you should be able to find like a 2 bdrm apt for a decent amount.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You need to PM Birdlover, she lives right outside of DC. My DD is AF and works at the Pentagon. She gets a housing allowance but rent in a nice area is not cheap. Before she bought her home she rented a townhouse in a section just outside the DC limits. I believe it cost her 1900.00 a month.

I know she went thru realtors is fine nice places.

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you both, I've heard the commute is awful trying to get into town. Schools is a big issue, especially with me being a teacher!

5. HennysMom

Oh I agree 100% - a nice area to live in the DC metro region is going to cost you upwards for a 2 bedroom at least 2K a month....and thats on the outskirts still. If you're looking at Georgetown...add at least 500-600 more.

W.O.W. - If you're not too worried about commuting - (or if you must commute) DONT GO SOUTH!! Go to the North and East (Maryland side) and go from there. Its MUCH easier to get to DC that way if you have to avoid the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and the 295 interchange. 14th street bridge isnt much better, but....it IS better if you dont commute from the south.

I did it for 10 + years coming from Fredericksburg VA when I worked at Bolling AFB and the Pentagon - it was a nightmare - and its like 53 miles one way. It used to take about 1.5 hours or so - now it takes over 2 on a good day to travel the same distance! If you get an accident - forget it - pack a lunch, you're going to be there all day and night.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    It's only a 10 - 11 month fellowship, I'm looking for cheap! But not Ghetto.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    The commute is horrible!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Washington, DC traffic and finding a route that is not under construction is terrible!!!!!

DD now rides the metro into work as it's alot easier for her.

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Don't they have public transit for cheap in that area?

9. HennysMom

Quote:Yes....but have you been to DC and ridden on the public transit?

[​IMG]

No thanks...

10. 2 Beauts

2 Beauts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Virginia
    I live in Fauquier county. We did a lot of research into schools in the area. VA schools in general are dramatically better than the schools in MD. We chose Fauquier County simply because you can get a lot more for your money as far as housing goes, IF YOU'RE WILLING TO COMMUTE. Plus, it still had good schools. The schools in Prince William county are some of the best in the nation, Loudon County schools rank highly also. We didn't even look in the Arlington/Fairfax area because in 2005-2006 housing prices were still way out of line. To get to the Fairfax metro stop, would take me about 45 min-1 hour in light traffic. Once on the metro, you'll need to check the map to see how long and what stop you'd need to be at.

What does a fellowship require? Would you have to be somewhere everyday, or do you only have to go in once a week? That could make a big difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by