Question For Those Brooding Ducklings & Chicks Together

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lolliegee, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Lolliegee

Lolliegee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Ok. Any tips on keeping the stink down???? [​IMG] I've been using wood pellets and shavings, but this thing is in my living room and whoo boy. Can you add baking soda? Just a thought. Please help.

2. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Oh my... it took me by suprise as well. Everyone was saying how stinky they are, but I thought they were exagerating. I had to take the 2 ducks out of the brooder which has 5 d'uccles and into their own brooder. I put a plastic shoe box under their waterer. They still manage to wet everything. I think I'll try stall dry in there for stink.

Do you know how long they take to feather out??? They're 2 weeks and not a single feather! They need to go outside!

3. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I change the shavings every day and have a plastic lid underneath the waterer. It still gets smelly but not as bad.

4. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I tried everything too, but whoa!! I just kept cleaning them, I only had 1 duckling and 1 silkie chick together. Cleaned them 4 times a day. My duckling feathered out almost fully at 8 weeks or so. Good Luck.. If you find something that works well please share it!!

5. Lolliegee

Lolliegee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Bummer, I was really hoping someone would have a great tip. Guess I'll have to just keep cleaning it out and hope those feathers show up soon. Anyone know when the feathers start making their appearance? [​IMG]

6. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I posted about this the other day. The best advice I got was to use the puppy pads under the water. He helps minimally. but it helps. Mostly I can't wait for them to go outside.

7. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Brooding ducks and chicks is not a good idea, and it is not fair and potentially harmfull to chicks.

I would never do that, for the birds good and well being.

8. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I gladly share my idea with you and everybody:

S e p e r a t e them. Should not be a problem having only 1 of each and easier than cleaning them 4 times a day.

9. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    I agree on the puppy pads. Bed pads also work. It made cleanup easier. Whoa brother it does stink!

[​IMG]

10. ChickenWendy

ChickenWendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    maybe it's just me but i dont brood chicks and ducklings together because the ducks do make a terrible mess. i use a wired bottom rabbit cage for my ducklings. the droppings drop to a pan and it's easier to change.and the wire is so close together their feet dont get stuck. it seems to work out much better - and i definitely dont ever keep them in the house. the smell is bad regardless- chicks or ducks. and it does take about 2 months for the ducks to fully feather out but they can be outside before that in a safe, enclosed environment. they dont need the warmth at the same levels that the chicks do for as long. i think - besides the smell - ducks are easier then chicks when it comes to brooding them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by