Question for those of you who sell eggs.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chicknduck, Sep 7, 2010.

1. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Do you have to be inspected or certifiedor could you just sell t whoever contacts you to buy them?

2. Downshifting

Downshifting Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I think it may depend on where you live. In NC, a person can sell up to 30 dozen eggs per week without any special requirements. I would suggest checking with your state's Agriculture department.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm in California and I'm only selling to people I know or who contact me via word of mouth. Not at stores, or any roadside stands or farmers' markets or anything. No certification needed for that.

4. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks for the input I am in Pennslvania so I guess I will check locally.

5. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

In Georgia you need to take a free class and pass a test so you can candle and grade the eggs, which is required of any eggs for sale.

I checked your profile and you're in Pennsylvania? Here is a document I found in a quick search: http://agalternatives.aers.psu.edu/Publications/small_scale_egg.pdf

It
    just talks about labeling and storage, but I would contact your dept of agriculture to make sure.

--
    Wendy

6. cdawson41

cdawson41 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Missouri
    Definitely check into it. I have been "told" that in Missouri as long as I do nothing to them, i.e. boil them (why you would do that I don't know) and that they go straight from hen to customer then you need do nothing else. I want to check into it further to see, so that if there is something I CAN DO even if not needed then it's done and I don't have to worry about it.

7. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by