Question for those that show your ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by featherfinder, Dec 1, 2011.

1. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Well i have thought about letting some of the local kids show my muscovy Gizmo and they have asked before. I have one particular neighbor that has a yound girl who asked me awhile back and i said i wasnt sure. Well after talking to someone else today about it i got the idea in my head that maybe i should let her. The only reason i havent yet is because of Gizmo's heart problem but since she has increased size since then and has showed great improvement i think it might be something that i let her try. My question is for standards what are the requirments to show a duck and the duck standards. And Gizmo is a muscovy. This would only be for fun because i know Gizmo cant not doing anything bigger than 4H becacuse of her heart condition.

Here is her picture. Let me know what you think of her and if she is ok for small, fun shows.

She is still molting in the picture so she looks a little ragged [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Shes adorable! [​IMG] even with the little "red things" [​IMG] I dont know much abput scovies, but she looks the right size for a hen [​IMG]

3. featherfinder

Anyone else?

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Rosecomb-Ryan shows and breeds Muscovies so he will have a better idea than most of us do. [​IMG]

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I hope you get a answer soon [​IMG]

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Don't 4-H kids have to own the animals they are showing?

I think she is fine for 4-H competition. If the child who is showing her decides she likes showing, a proper show bird really isn't that much money and she can move up. 4-H competition is intense in my area, but nobody is laughed off the show grounds if their bird isn't top quality.

Your duck will need to be a lot cleaner and to have her feathers in better condition. I don't have Muscovy Ducks, so can't evaluate her quality. Whether or not she is a best in show duck, she is certainly fine for a first show bird in 4-H or county fair.

And you...... perhaps you will find it interesting and join us in the show bird world. It is a lot of fun.

7. featherfinder

All she has to do is sign up with the bird under he name at the show since it is just 4H. Her parents want her to try it out and see if she likes it before they go buying animals and building things for them. They dont really have the room right now to be building a duck house from what they told me. She was going threw a molt in that picture and she already knows it will be her job to come over and spend sometime with her and clean her up for shows. I might go to a couple and see what they are like. I just really know nothing about showing a duck lol.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If she has a proven heart problem, do you want to put her through the stress of showing?

9. featherfinder

Quote:She is very use to people and use to being moved around and that doesnt stress her out. I dont see a problem and think she will be fine as long as she is with a familar handler and the vet says it is ok.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:She is very use to people and use to being moved around and that doesnt stress her out. I dont see a problem and think she will be fine as long as she is with a familar handler and the vet says it is ok.

Just my 2 cents but since Gizmo has been around humans all her life and use to being handled I think you should give her a try especially if the vet says it's a go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by