Question for those who have lights on a timer, exterior run light?

patman75

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Michigan - in the thumb
When using a light and a timer to increase egg production during the fall, winter and spring do you have a exterior light in the run also so that the chickens are not stuck in the coop for a few hours waiting for the sun to come out?

Thanks a bunch.

For me I don't. I don't want my chickens out before the sun is up because of preditors that might still be out in the dark.

I have a light on a timer inside the coop and my chickens free range when I let them out of it. I don't have an outside run, per se, unless you count my entire 1/3 acre backyard their "run". They're not outside until after 8:30 am anyway, when it's full daylight.

I have the coop light and run light both on a timer so that when i go out to open the pop door at 6:30, they will come down and eat their oatmeal and yogurt and the mealworm/scratchfeed I throw out. I want to see them before I go to work. I'm hoping they will continue to come out during the winter months and feed in the run.

I too have the inside coop on a timed light...i have it turn off about 30-45mins after they useually go inside for the night. When i set it up for the first time, i just set the 'off' time to 8pm, then counted 16 hours as suggested of 'on' time. It wasn't until just this morning when I for some reason couldn't sleep past 4am, I realized...the ladies are already up!!!!!!! Do they make chickey coffee!?!
lau.gif

Last edited:
No--they don't go out until I let them out and by that time it is light outside. They seem to find plenty to do inside while they wait for me.

No run lights here, either, just a light on a timer inside the coop. Their actual feed is in there, anyway, and I figure that during the time the light is on inside, and they can't get out can be spent actually eating feed instead of foraging about in the pen or just filling up on whatever vegies, etc. I put outside. I don't open up my coop until full daylight-too many things lurking about in the dark.

I have a light in the coop that lights a portion of the run. I turn the light on when I go out to fill the feeders and waterers when it's still dark fall through spring. I started leaving the light on until I lock them up at night a month ago.

My roosters start crowing at 4:45 am. I went out at 5:45 this morning and it's still dark out as I write this at 6:50 am Pacific NW. They do go out in the run when it's dark because I throw out handfulls of scratch mixed with BOSS (black oiled sunflower seeds) to give them something to scratch. Keeps the wood chips fluffed up in the covered run.

I am thinking of putting up a flood light this weekend that lights a portion of the run and outside area were I fill the waterers and backyard area next to the goat house just so I have more light when I'm out doing chores AM & PM.

What a great question. I'm just starting my new coop - a converted small shed - and was wondering the exact same thing. I was planning for a light inside the coop and was concerned if I'd need in the run as well. Since the lower 4' of one wall will be wire instead of wood, I'll position the light so that some of the run will be lit as well as inside the coop.
Jo-Ann

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

I have a light in the coop that lights a portion of the run. I turn the light on when I go out to fill the feeders and waterers when it's still dark fall through spring. I started leaving the light on until I lock them up at night a month ago.

My roosters start crowing at 4:45 am. I went out at 5:45 this morning and it's still dark out as I write this at 6:50 am Pacific NW. They do go out in the run when it's dark because I throw out handfulls of scratch mixed with BOSS (black oiled sunflower seeds) to give them something to scratch. Keeps the wood chips fluffed up in the covered run.

I am thinking of putting up a flood light this weekend that lights a portion of the run and outside area were I fill the waterers and backyard area next to the goat house just so I have more light when I'm out doing chores AM & PM.

DH just put up a flood light at the end of the coop for when it is really dark in the mornings. He got a cool remote control for it at Home Depot so I can turn it on and off from the house. Good for playing with the dogs in the yard on dark winter evenings too.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom