Question for those who maintain an organic diet...I need advice.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Roy Rooster, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi All, [​IMG]

I am changing to an all organic diet. The veggies and fruits are pretty easy
    to distinguish in the stores. Meat however is a different story.

My question is, does anyone know which brands in your local Kroger or Grocery
    store are 100% organic. No hormones or antibiotics used in handling the animals.

Some say they are organic but can be misleading. Any expertise from those who have
    been eating organic would be great.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Is there any one out there?? [​IMG]

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Do you have a Whole Foods? They sell a lot of organic.

4. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Roy - you need to go to the www.localharvest.org and the www.realtimefarms websites and in their search bar
    enter your area code and it will pull up of the farms and farmers markets in your area. From there you should be
    able to locate farm raised, grass fed, organically fed poultry, beef, lamb, pork, etc. I live in a very small rural town
    90 miles north of Atlanta and we have several such farms even in our part of the 'boondocks'. Getting right from
    the farmer who raises it and has it slaughtered in an USDA approved facility is the way to go - at least for our family.

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Get an upright freezer and buy from a farmer. Grass fed beef is a little chewier than store bought, but the taste!!! NO comparison.

6. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, I checked on line, I do not have a whole foods or a local farmer within a reasonable
    driving distance from my house. What are some trustworthy brands that I can
    look for in the grocery store such as Kroger, Food City, Aldi, etc... Thanks.

7. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I have beef, pork, and chicken in two chest freezers so I don't buy much at the grocery store. Beef and pork are local. And the chicken is really local (my backyard [​IMG]). If by chance I were to buy something at the grocery store, I make sure to ask the meat department guy. I know there is one that is natural -- grain fed and no antibiotics given for the last 30 days of life (doesn't sound natural to me [​IMG]) and one that is completely grass fed never been given antibiotics.

8. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I am going to sayi would not expect aldi to have anything organic. They are a discount food line. As far as organic meats local farmers are the way to go. Also check & see if azurestandard.com has drops coming your way. A yr ago most routes stopped at the Mississippi but they usually start new routes each January.

I have driven 3 hours to purchase grass fed longhorn or buffalo. I can get meat closer but feel the product was worth the drive & a large meat purchase usually will last us 8-9 months. It is worth the drive.

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You can also start by checking with every grocery store in your area and asking them if they carry any organic meats. You can also contact health food stores in your area and tell them you are looking for organic meats, as well as other organic foods. They should have lots of organic food, although most I've seen don't carry organic meats. You can ask them if they have any idea where you could find some in your area. Most people are pretty helpful, if you give them a chance.

If you have freezer space, you could go a little farther and stock up, if you find a place that carries some. My first thought was also Whole Foods and local farmers. Sometimes it takes more effort to find sources for things in the beginning, but it's worth it later.

10. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:Try checking out side. That's where the local farmers are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by