Question for those who've hatched duck eggs before.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fly Be Free, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    When you open your bator does it smell?? I'm only on day 7 but have had to check the eggs earlier. The smell is rank. Not overpowering but .. ewwww.

I'm thinking it's cuz they're "duck" eggs and ducks are notorious for laying their eggs in any ole place. (hence how dirty they are) And that is just why they are stinky.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

No, duck eggs smell the same. If it is rank, smell each egg an throw out the one that stinks. Smells are normal. Stink is not.

3. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    In my experience, duck eggs have smelled really weird. I have several eggs in my incubator right now that you'd think were dead because of the smell, but you can see the chick moving in the egg.

4. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    See, these aren't that old. I mean, anything can go off and stink like the dickens but this is just... funky. I'm guessing that the muck that they were laid in is rehydrated by the humidity and is giving it that funky odor. I've sniffed eggs and I don't smell any one in particular that is rank. Will candle and do the "sniff" test this weekend.
    I wonder what God thinks of us down here sniffing eggs. LOL "What are you doing? Just look inside. Oh right, you can't because you're not Me. Sniff away." LOL!
    Quote:

5. rebelcowboysnb

lol I should not laugh at that I am sure but.... You may be right about the muck making a smell. If it was a bad egg you would know with the sniff test.

6. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Heehee. I really wasn't trying to be disrespectful to God. LOL Being a beliver myself I often wonder what He thinks of our antics down her. ;)

7. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    FOUND IT! [​IMG][​IMG]

The first round of sniffing last week yeilded nothing. So, I decided to try again. I just couldn't shake the thought of expolded stinky all in my new bator. Yup, DEFINATLEY was ONE egg making all that stank! I chucked it outside and it exploded like a grenade! LOL

8. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    FOUND IT! [​IMG][​IMG]

The first round of sniffing last week yeilded nothing. So, I decided to try again. I just couldn't shake the thought of expolded stinky all in my new bator. Yup, DEFINATLEY was ONE egg making all that stank! I chucked it outside and it exploded like a grenade! LOL

ETA: I live in the country. I've got plenty of places to chuck things. :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  9. rebelcowboysnb

Watch out, Easter is coming up... Dont want kids bringing in rotten eggs you forgot about... Been there done that... [​IMG]

10. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Ooooh noooo! LOL Thank goodness we don't celebrate Easter with eggs and such. We did when I was little and I can just see myself wanting to "keep" my found treasures. Hahahahaha. I'll have to ask my Momma how she managed to keep from finding stink bombs two weeks after Easter. ROFL!!! Just the thought makes me shudder. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by