Question for USPS workers about home delivery

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I was just looking about home mail delivery, I know there are a few USPS workers here and wondering if they would help answer a question

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/508.htm

The way I read it, if I have a mail box by the street the delivery driver isn't required to drop a package at my house if it doesn't fit in the mail box...yes?

They drop a pickup slip off at the mail box and I sign it to deliver to my address, by what I read in the rules on the link they can just drop it beside the mailbox if they want.....yes?

Is there another reg about home delivery other than what I found?

Thanks in advance for USPS support

Steve

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Send Asher a PM, she is a mail carrier. She may know. [​IMG]

3. hermitgirl

hermitgirl New Egg

Jan 17, 2011
    I don't know about official rules but if it's rural delivery I think it depends alot on the delivery driver. I have 2 different delivery people, the woman will bring the package and any other mail up to the porch because she's afraid someone might take it. The man will put packages on the porch but any other mail in the box(!?!). If you liive in a small town and don't want them left out by the mail box it might only take a call to the post office asking them nicely to not leave them out. It's worth a try!

4. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    I was told by the Post Master here that the postal delivery person is required to attempt to bring the package to your house for delivery. If no one is at home, or they feel unsafe to leave the package on the porch, etc., they are to leave the slip for you to come to the PO to pick it up. I get a lot of packages delivered and my post office delivery lady always brings my packages and leaves them on the front porch.

5. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    I was told by the Post Master here that the mail carrier is required to attempt to bring the package to your house for delivery. If no one is at home, or they feel unsafe to leave the package on the porch, etc., they are to leave the slip for you to come to the PO to pick it up. I get a lot of packages delivered and my mail carrier always brings my packages and leaves them on the front porch.

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Call your postoffice and ask.

If you are going to be home- you might just call and tell them what you want done with the package.

My mom has been carrying the mail since '87 and my dad retired after 35 years-2years ago.

I know mom will deliver as long as the driveway isn't over a mile long. And she will honk first. Technically they are not suppossed to leave their truck and if you are at the beginning or the middle of the route it can be tricky to get out with all the mail stacked around them.

But really just call. It depends on the Post Office.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by