Question for Wyandotte owners...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NashChic, May 16, 2009.

1. NashChic

NashChic Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    This is my first "new topic" post, so I hope I'm putting this in the right place!

I'm thinking about getting a couple Silverlaced Wyandottes and several RIRs. I know the RIRs are not ones to go broody, but what about the Wyandottes? I'd like to have a hen that would brood once in a while, so I could set her on some fertile eggs. Would a Wyandotte be a good one for that?

One more thing... what kind of egg production could I expect from a Wyandotte?

Thanks to all the knowledgeable people on here that have taught me so much already, just by reading these posts!!

2. verlaj

verlaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    I have had Wyandottes (golden and silver laced) for about 7 years. Have had one GLW (of 4 hens) go broody every year. I gave her fertile eggs for the first time this year. So far, so good - she's doing her job! Chicks are due to hatch on the 19th!

Can't answer about egg production - I have a mixed flock. I do know the Wyandottes like to go over the 4 ft perimeter fence, roam and forage, and often lay someplace other than the nesting boxes.

3. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I have 2 hens that are a little over a year old. They started laying at about 6 months old and stopped during the winter but started back up as soon as the weather started to warm up. As far as them sitting, mine will not. They will lay one egg a day and they are a medium size egg. Large if you compare them to grocery store eggs. The roos turn mean and will attack you, your husband, your kids, your other pets. Mine would even fight with the other 2 roos. We had him for supper.

If you looking for a good Broody, get Orphingtons. Mine wll fight for her egg and will sit on the others eggs also and fight for them too. She is very mothering. I always get a chicken cussing when I take eggs when she is sitting. I can hear her for about 10 minutes it makes her so mad.

My BR laid off and on during the winter but the buff and sex-links layed all winter an egg a day each.

I hope this helps you some.

4. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Wyandottes are GREAT egg layers. My friend has about 15 and she gets about a dozen eggs a day. They are also gorgeous birds. Roosters can be kinda aggressive though. And they are not very broody. But you will get an oddball. If you want a broody, get a Cochin or a Silkie. They are adorable and they will hatch you lots of babies. Actually, a Silkie would be better. That's pretty much all they do.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got Blue and blue laced red wyandottes. Some SLWs too, but they're just chicks yet.

My BLRWs like to go broody and I've had a couple of my blues go broody too. My BLRWs have been good layers...my Blues aren't so much. Mine are nice calm birds...roos included.

It sometimes makes a difference in temprement if you have hatchery birds or birds from a breeder. Seems like the hatchery birds have a tendency to develop a mean streak. Probably because the hatcheries don't cull mean tempered birds where a breeder will.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  6. DukeDawg528

DukeDawg528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    SouthEastern Kentucky
    I had some G.L.W a long time ago and they lay pretty good...But after about one and a half to two years old they start to fade like any other breed would...And yes they will go broody but not like some breeds [​IMG] ...Good luck... [​IMG]

7. NashChic

NashChic Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks, guys! That's just the info I needed!

verlaj - Good luck with your hatch! I want to hear how it goes [​IMG]

8. verlaj

verlaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    Quote:The chicks are hatching - one day early!! I heard peeping and could see one chick tucked in by mama! I'll keep you posted - went out to take photos but the chick was hidden when I returned with the camera.

9. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Of all the breeds/varieties that I have...the SLW is my least favorite. They do lay fairly well that is why 8 of them are still here and not in the pot. I had a wonderful SLW roo but I sold him to someone who wanted to improve their SLW flock and since I don't, well it was the best thing for him.

10. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Yep my passive save the world neighbor asked me to come and dispatch for her a SLW rooster that was maybe the meanest animal I have ever seen. He attacked her and everything in sight that would move. He was a handsome devil also. He never came after me when I went to visit but he stalked her like nothing I have ever observed. She jumped and cheered for joy when the little .22 barked and it was done. This the woman that has saved every little creature kown to man.

He was a hatchery model of course. I had his brother not much better met the same fate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by