Question for you Arabian Horse people

KristyHall

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
North Alabama
I have a 20 year old Arabian mare. I have had her since I was fourteen. When my parents bought her for me, they were told she is Polish Calvary lines.

I love this horse dearly but I have retired her from being ridden due to arthritis in her legs. I would love to buy another horse form similar lines but since I have had little to do with other horses but her and her daughter. I am not sure how to go about looking for one.

Can anyone help me decipher between the lines? Where can I better educate myself? I would love another Calvary line Arabian like my sweet old girl.

She was a show horse that came from show lines and had won halter class as a filly, but after moving a couple of times I do not even know where her papers are.

Any advice would be wonderful.

I am not extremely well read about Arab history, but I think a lot of Polish cavalry horses were bred through the Janów Podlaski Stud. There are a lot of Arab farms out there that breed Polish lines specifically. Toskahara, Wintersteen and Love N War Arabians come to mind. Not sure if they have the exact lines you are looking for. The AHA Datasource may help you find some info on bloodlines you are interested in. It is a good place to see show records at least. Arlene Magid research can be very helpful in looking at bloodlines as well.

Not sure if this helps?

She's not pure Polish, she has some Egyptian and Al-Marah (mainly Crabbet and British breeding) in her as well. Some of her lines like to Naseem are difficult to find nowadays. You'll just have to be patient and keep looking. Join the Arabian Horse Association and try to find a breeder or mentor who maybe has horses of those lines.

Although most of the time with the "older" lines like that, they aren't being bred at the big show farms any more, usually in small backyard operations.

Thank you for the advice! It looks like it will be a long search but I am up for the challenge. I just love her bright sensitive nature, her incredible endurance, willingness to work, and I've seen her eat and thrive on forage that usually only goats will eat.

And the devotion. She is the most devoted horse I have ever had the pleasure to be around.

Is this common with Arabians? this bonding with one or two people? Some people says it is but I was wondering if it is more common in older lines than in newer.

BTW Her name, I believe, is Samera Moon Child.

I've spent the past 15 years calling her Sammy though.

There are a lot of folks at ABN who will run that name or similar names through the AHA Datasource for you. I would run it for you, but my subscription ran out a few months back and I have not renewed it. I usually wait until I really need it as it is a paid service. If you want to sign up for a while to research her pedigree, a one-day subscription is only $9.95 and a month is $24.95.

Not sure about the temperaments as I am fairly new to horses and have only worked with Arabs. All the horses I have worked with are very personable. None have what you would call "popular" bloodlines, though. I do think it has a lot to do with bloodlines just based on stories I hear from my trainer and other riders at the barn where I take lessons.

There are a lot of folks at ABN who will run that name or similar names through the AHA Datasource for you. I would run it for you, but my subscription ran out a few months back and I have not renewed it. I usually wait until I really need it as it is a paid service. If you want to sign up for a while to research her pedigree, a one-day subscription is only $9.95 and a month is $24.95.

Not sure about the temperaments as I am fairly new to horses and have only worked with Arabs. All the horses I have worked with are very personable. None have what you would call "popular" bloodlines, though. I do think it has a lot to do with bloodlines just based on stories I hear from my trainer and other riders at the barn where I take lessons.

I suspect so as well. While I have had exposure to a lot of horses, I have only been truly invested in my old Arabian mare and her daughter who acts just like her. I really should get new papers for her though so I can get around to registering her daughter as a half Arab. I would love to breed her daughter to a similar line. Dakota Moon is a doll but more stubborn than her mother. I blame her quarter horse daddy. hehe I love love love my girls.
love.gif

Anyhow, thank you HudokFarm. This is definitely something I want to look into.

Yes

Arabians are well-known bonding with their owners and their willingness to please. They are very sensitive and intelligent and you can't muscle them around the way you can with some other breeds (which leads many stock horse people into thinking that Arabians are psycho or dumb). I've been riding Arabians for over 20 years and I don't want to ride or own anything else. Although I did ride a very nice TWH mare yesterday ...

Srsly, I love Arabians. It is precisely that intelligence and sensitivty that I love and makes me think most other breeds are deadheads. Not that any breed is better or worse than another, but I like a horse that learns quickly and is aware of the world around them.

Back
Top Bottom