Question for you chick-raising pros out there

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kristenm1975, Dec 2, 2008.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    There's someone in my area (Seattle) who's got chicks available now for a reasonable price. I wasn't planning on getting any until Ideal starts hatching out the rare breeds in Feb, but... I'd love to get a head start so I have layers sooner than June or July.

The trouble is, four days of the week I work away from home and leave the house at 5:30am, arriving home again around 7:30 or 8pm. My questions is whether they would get enough care if I just check on them before I leave and once I get home, plus before I head to bed around 11?

They would be in a nice room that's attached to the house but has its own entrance and would have plenty of space, several feeders and waterers, and a couple of heat lamps so there would be room to spread out.

The other three days of the week I'm at home and can spend plenty of time with them.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    That sounds like a good set up to me. Just be sure the waterers are secured so they can't tip them over. If you have lots of food, water, heaters and room, what more could a chick ask for? [​IMG] How old are the chicks, how many and what kind? What kind of work do you do? Do you mind nosey people with lots of questions?? [​IMG]

3. Sounds like the chicks would have a wonderful home. They are really easy to take care of. A hanging feeder with lots of strater, a waterer that holds a good deal of water (you can find them at the local feed store) and a good heat source. A reptile coil or a white heat lamp about 250 watts. In an area that does not have heat, you need a 250 watt heat lamp. Lots of pine shavings so they can waddle down in them and last but not least a looksie every morning and every night to make sure the light is going and the water a feed are not out. They are really that easy to keep.

4. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    i agree with the above!! should be just fine.

5. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Hey birdlover, no worries. [​IMG] As for what kind of chicks, the person apparently has some of the rare breeds I want in stock at times, but not just now. Hoping (s)he will soon! The ones listed that interest me most are the French feather-footed cuckoo marans, the buff orps, silver-laced wyandotte, blue andalusian, silver-spangled hamburg, welsummer, speckled sussex, delaware, and partridge plymouth rock. No word yet on when they're due in or what age they are, but as I recall from speaking with this seller before, they're all usually less than two weeks old and range in price from $5 - $15 each. (I'm hoping they wouldn't seriously ask $15 for a chick that young but... [​IMG] ) I guess what will make up my mind about these chicks is the sexing policy (my place is a no-roo establishment) and the price. At about double the price that Ideal will be asking for those same chicks come February, it might be better to just sit tight and be patient.[​IMG]

Thanks for the advice, all! Glad to hear it sounds feasible if I decide to go that route.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by