question for you genealogy buffs.......... SUCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by FLchook, Apr 12, 2008.

1. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Ok, after a few month break im ready to hit the family tree at full speed a head. But Im still at the same road block with my maternal grandfather.... I want to find his real family. Even if its just names, it would be nice to add into my tree.

Grandpa was raised in foster care in Ramsey County Minnesota. In a group home at first, then with a family. From what I understand, his foster parents wanted to adopt him, but could not. Reasons still unknown to us. After her turned 18 they told him they would adopt him if he wanted to go through with it, Grandpa said the adoptions was just papers, they were his parents.

Is it possible for me to find the name of his birth parents? He was born in 1921, so records would be what.....87 years old. He is still alive though, will that pose a problem?

So whatcha think.....any hope?

Thanks,
    Shannon

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Shannon,
    Census records may be the first place to begin. [​IMG] These will show the families in the different towns in that area, name the children and give their ages. I've used them in genealogy work (sometimes the handwriting is hard to read), and it was fascinating to see all the information contained in those census reports. We've used the computers and micro fiche records at our local Mormon church. If you ever get a chance to go to Salt Lake, bring all the names/dates that you can. There is a treasure trove of genealogy data at Temple Square.

The LDS church has an enormous genealogical base that anyone is free to use and it costs nothing; local people volunteer their time to help out anyone who would like to do genealogical work.
    If you have a local Mormon meeting house nearby, please call and someone will help you. The telephone number is in the yellow pages under Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

If you'd rather, try this site online.
    http://www.familysearch.org/ It will get you going and explain all you need to know.
    Genealogy is really fun.... and satisfying, too, isn't it?

Carla

3. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Hi Shannon, if you will give me your grandfathers name I will look him up on the 1930 census for Ramsey County, MN - I am a member of Ancestry and have access to the census.

4. FLchook

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    The LDS church will have records to people who are not member of thier church?

There is a brance about 15 miles from here, ill have to go check them out. Of course a trip somewhere to find info sounds more fun then driving downtown LOL

Shannon

5. FLchook

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Ive searched the 1930 census, it shows him with his foster parents. =/ The name is Raymond Johnson... so common of a name, and no middle name to even narrow it down.

6. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Also place a post with what information you do know on the "adoption genealogy forum" Goodluck searching! [​IMG]

7. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Sometimes the local church in that area will have copies of birth records which should have the family names on it. Have you tried www.ancestory.com ? There is a forum on there where you can post questions.

8. spudchild

spudchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Nashville
    The Social Security administration may be able to help you. You need to tell them that you need to track down his birth parents because it is essential for you to find out something in his medical history. They will provide the information to you for that reason if they have it.

9. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Do you know the names of any of his brother's and sister's?

10. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Spudchild said to contact the Social Security Administration. Here is the address: Office of Earning Operations.....FOIA Work Group, Freedom of Information Act, 300 North Greene Street, P.O. Box 33022, Baltimore, Maryland 21290

Do you know the name of the group home he was in before foster care? Can you tell us any other information?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by