Question for you sex-link experts! :)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cowgirl71, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I have 15 sex-link pullets that are Buff Orpington x Barred Rock. If I bred them to a Rhode Island Red rooster, what would I get?

Would about half the chicks hatch out red/gold, and the other half hatch out sex-linked? Or would they hatch out all kinds of colors, and not at all sex-linked? Thank you!

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

You cannot make a second generation sex-link by breeding a sex-link to something else. Sorry.

3. blackclownfish16

blackclownfish16 Chillin' With My Peeps

The pullets do not have the barring gene so they cannot be used for a sex link cross. I would imagine you will hatch out all kinds of colors, possibly some clearish buff/red birds.

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    you can always use the gold/ silver gene on the next cross.

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We have crossed our sex link's back to a RIR roo and every chicken is different but all are fantastic egg layers

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:No becuase these hens would be gold gened and you need silver gene hens for gold on silver sexlinkage to work.

I agree that you would not get sexlink chicks and you would probably get a variety of colors

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Thanks! I didn't think I'd get sex-links, but thought I'd ask, just in case... [​IMG]

One more question: Is egg production ("rate of lay") a sex-linked trait?

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    no

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by