Question frm newbie; mixing lots of breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by amylou22, Mar 14, 2011.

1. amylou22

amylou22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I am brand new, getting chicks this weekend. I am planning to get 5-6. Is it ok to get one of each breed?

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have had extremely good luck with this. I have barred rocks, buffs, RIRs, americanas,and mixed bantams together now. Be sure to research. Some breeds do better with their own kind.

3. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:Absolutely! My first order of 12 chicks was 9 different breeds, with 3 colors of Cochins and 2 colors of Wyandottes! I LOVE the variety. [​IMG]

And it's a lot easier to give them names and tell them apart![​IMG]

4. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Yeppers [​IMG] I love my Dominiques, but I also love going to my friend's and seeing their mixed rainbow flocks. One has all orpingtons - but each one is a different color. Another has all kinds of orientals, two friends both have tons of mixed bantams, etc. It does make it easier for them to name them! The Orpington friend has them named like Goldy, Lacey, Bluebird, Blackbird, lol etc

5. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

SOME breeds don't do as well in a mixed flock of large fowl chickens. For instance, Polish or other relatively small crested breeds are often picked at/picked on by others - this can get really bad! It's probably a good idea to at least start with breeds that are of a similar size and temperment. I have a lot of different breeds and they get along pretty well, but some very docile breeds (like Cochins) may be be harrassed some by some of the more dominant types (Wyandottes, Rocks, for instance). Just something to consider.

6. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    It depends on the area that the birds have access to especially the size and other items in the run. Chickens can be mixed if all the same age. If there is a lot of space for them to dust bath, forage, hide and fly around they should be OK. A crested bird, a smaller bird may be picked if those particular birds have no place to hide. I have raised Silkies with LF and since they had tons of space and distractions they were safe. But Silkies tend to be more inclined to fend off anyone who might annoy them.

Best advice is to do your research and be observant. Many folks like to raise a good variety because we like many different breeds and like have a colorful egg basket.

7. vtchickenlvr

vtchickenlvr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    I agree with the comment about the polish cresteds getting picked on- that definitely happened with us. But, I have always had a mixed flock and currently have araucanas, Rhode Island Reds,1 Black Astrolop, 1 Golden laced Wyandotte all getting along ok. It's fun to mix them, plus you will get to know the different breed's characteristics and next time you can get more of one or another!!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If they are raised as babies in a mixed flock, any mix should work. You are just as likely to find the polish lording it over the asutralorps or RIR as vice versa. I have a couple of tiny silkie terrorist hens who will put the kabosh on any other hen (regardless of size) or even rooster, that she does not like the looks of. FOr that matter, I have a scraggly (out of condition, but no show bird, either) silkie cockerel who terrorizes by exhibition-sized barred rock cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by