Question from a beginner!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by raisinemright, Jan 29, 2014.

1. raisinemright

raisinemright Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    My new incubator will be arriving soon, I know there will be directions with it but is there a cleaner to use for sterilizing the incubator? Do you have to sterilize the eggs, and thermometer (if I put one inside)? Basically when I unpack it what should I clean and how to clean it? Thanks

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. Double Laced

Double Laced Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Hi there.

It depends on the type of incubator you are getting and how easy it is to clean.

I use the brinsea bottles. I know people who use Milton ( baby sterilising fluid) and they are happy with it.

Never underestimate the cleaning and sterilising ability of boiling water ( careful plastic can melt). reduce the chances of getting them messy by removing clear eggs or rotting eggs

I use a hatcher to keep my incubators spotless as we incubate about 300 eggs a week.

When it arrived it will prob just need a wipe with a damp cloth and check it has no shavings or rough edges.

never use scourers on plastic as they scratch. remember water and electic don't mix.

Enjoy.

Be careful of chicken Maths, this is where you start of with a dozen eggs and end up with 100 hens

3. raisinemright

Nov 2, 2013
    Lol I already know about the Chicken math! We started with 6 golden comet's and now we are going to bump up the flock numbers just a smudge to around 30 :) is there any help for people with a chicken addiction? Lol thanks for ghe reply

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  4. Double Laced

Double Laced Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Yorkshire
    ' incubators anonymous'

Will start a group

5. raisinemright

Nov 2, 2013
    lol this sounds like a good idea!
    I haven't even started my first hatching yet and I've already got my next 5 planned!! It's going to get bad I can tell!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by