question from a first timer

criddle76

Chirping
7 Years
May 7, 2012
my chicks are about 10|11weeks oldthis is the first time ive had chicks we have 5 hens 1 rooster.. will they hatch their own eggs, how will i know tnats what they are going to do i just want to make sure im doing the right stuff for them if anyone can give me some advice so i can prepare for when its time itd be awesome
thanks so much in advance!!!
roll.png

Whether or not they'll hatch their own chicks depends on the breed and if they go broody. However, you have at least a couple months before they'll be old enough to lay eggs - and even longer before one of them will go broody. Search BYC and read some of the links on broody hens.

my chicks are about 10|11weeks oldthis is the first time ive had chicks we have 5 hens 1 rooster.. will they hatch their own eggs, how will i know tnats what they are going to do i just want to make sure im doing the right stuff for them if anyone can give me some advice so i can prepare for when its time itd be awesome
thanks so much in advance!!!
roll.png
HI Criddle76,

The eggs will be fertile, but most chicken breeds do not go broody. That has been bred out of them. Heritage breeds will. Dorkings is one type that will set on eggs and hatch them. The breeds section on here should help you find out if your breeds of chickens will go broody.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom