Question from a newbie- bald spots on chick bums

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Officerswife33, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Officerswife33

Officerswife33 New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    I'm new to the forum and to raising chickens. I did try to search before asking this, but could not find any info relating to chicks with this problem. The problem I speak of- bald spots on the bum! We just got our chicks on Tuesday. They are just a few days old and one of them is definitely the alpha already. The one who is not alpha has a growing bald spot on her bum and I am a little concerned about it. I have heard about pecking and I am worried that perhaps she is being bullied by the other chick, but I have not noticed any agressive behaviour. In fact, they really do not like being separated. They seem to really like each other. The only thing I have noticed on occasion is that the chick with the bald spot will be pecking at her own rump. Is she doing it to herself? And if so, is this a bad sign or is it normal chick behaviour? Is there anything I can do to help the spot get better? Thanks for your help!

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there blood? We have one chick that had some blood and no tailfeathers-we noticed it yesterday afternoon. It looked like she was picking at it as well as the others (probably-we didn't witness them doing it). DH put something he called "blue lotion" on it. I *think* it's gentian violet. That was last night. Today she looked much better so I think they left her alone. There was no blood at all.

3. Officerswife33

Officerswife33 New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    No blood. Just a bald spot and some matted chick fuzz. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it... I just hope it isn't something serious. She's kind of my favourite chick Ü

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm pretty sure if it was from pecking it would have at least a little blood on it. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

5. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    pasty butt? clean it- then put some vaseline on it- to help prevent picking at it (and keep it soft)

Tis the instructions i got on here 2 weeks ago when i inherited a bald bummed silkie [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by