1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question from a newbie, in regards to adding a new rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by thoughtsbysabian, Oct 17, 2009.

1. thoughtsbysabian

thoughtsbysabian Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Hawley, PA
    I currently have 5 RIR/Leghorn mix hens that are not a laying age yet. I don't know their exact age. I found someone in my area giving away a 1 yr. old splash Colored Dutch Bantam Rooster. Do you think this is a good idea. I don't know if his size would matter or not, being that he is a bantam.... Please let me know what you all think, and what concerns I should have if I decide to take him...... Thanks [​IMG]

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    We started w/ 6 red sex links and added a cochin roo. Our gals seem to enjoy having a man around--it was funny the first few days watching them strut and show off for him. We kept him in an old hutch within the run for a few days until they all got used to looking at one another, then let him loose. Other than one hen that incessantly picks at his feet, we haven't had any dominance issues.

I don't have a lot of experience w/ bantams, but we had the opposite as our full grown cochin is almost 3x the weight of our little pullets but he doesn't seem to be hurting them.

If you can keep a rooster, go for it. Again, the hens like having a man around and he's become protective of his little harem. It's a nice sound in the morning to hear the crowing and it's humorous to hear his little "chicken growl" at intruders.

3. thoughtsbysabian

thoughtsbysabian Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Hawley, PA
    Ok great, thanks for your feedback.... I think I am going to get him. I was just scared that the girls might pick on his since he is a smaller bantam. Oh well, I am going for it... Thanks again for your feedback.

4. CTChick

CTChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Shelton
    I've had good luck with this by sectioning off a corner of the coop (covered) with a length of chicken wire 4' wide corner to corner and letting the newcomer stay in "time out" corner where he can see the others and vice versa ... but no one can get hurt. After a day, they seem to get along. Good luck! Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by