Question from a Newbie

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RoostersComb, Jun 17, 2016.

1. RoostersComb

RoostersComb New Egg

May 16, 2016
    What is the normal "loss" rate writhing the first 7 days? I put 48 in the incubator, and just candled. I had 4 yolkers, and 8 quitters, making it an even dozen. This is my first hatch so I'm just curious if those numbers are fairly normal or not.

2. FalconsNest

FalconsNest Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    I would say the answer to your your question is it depends. In the hatching world, there are two things you have take into consideration.
    #1: The fertility rate. The fertility rate is the percentage of eggs that are fertile, and the average for this is about 80 percent. Anything below that and something went wrong with the breeder flock. Either the hens were sick, or the rooster was or too old or had inadequate access to the hens. It's hard for some to find a fertile roo, but nonetheless the fertility rate is easier for begginers to get right than the hatch rate.
    #2: The hatch rate. This is the amount of eggs that actually hatch. If this is your first hatch, don't expect a 90 percent hatch rate. Incubation is tricky. You have to worry about all the things the hen obsesses over. The temperature. The humidity and turning of the eggs, to name a few. By candling the eggs on days 7 and 14, you remove the non-developing eggs and use the clues to see why they stopped developing. Infertile? or something you did (or didn't) do? You learn, in time, by your mistakes. Every hatch brings you closer to that perfect 99 percent. Some day you'll get the hang of it ;)

Hope this helped. Keep in touch about the eggs :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  3. RoostersComb

RoostersComb New Egg

May 16, 2016
    Thank you very much! I know at day 7 I was looking for veins, but what do I look for at 14? Movement from the chick?

4. FalconsNest

FalconsNest Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    At day 14 look for a dark blob that fills half the egg. It doesn't necessarily have to move. A rotting egg at 14 days looks murky with hard-to-see contents. Make sure you're using a quality egg candler before you cull any eggs, though.

5. RoostersComb

RoostersComb New Egg

May 16, 2016
    So far that's what I got! There were 3 that weren't viable anymore, but all 3 were question marks from last week. Day 18 tomorrow, really excited to see what happens! Do I just need to look for movement tomorrow?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by