Question from the new kid on the block

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ed62, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

After browsing this site for a few days, it was an easy decision to join. Thanks to all for sharing the wealth of information.

Now to the question. We have 6 pullets and a cockerel (Speckled Sussex), and they are 18 weeks of age. Thinking they were close to laying, when we ran out of our Flock Raiser food, we bought a 50 pound bag of Layela, for laying hens. They seem to like it very much, but they are not laying yet. Did we make a mistake by taking them off the Flock Raiser? Maybe we should put them back on it?? Many more questions to come. [​IMG]

Ed

2. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I think you're okay switching over at this point. Your birds should be laying soon, and Layena is fine for laying hens. You'll also want to start offering some oyster shell separately once they actually are laying. The rooster won't need it, and won't eat it, but your pullets will.

3. Ed62

Thanks very much for the quick reply. We have a lot to learn.

Ed

4. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    [​IMG] Glad you could join us.

5. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Your flock will be just fine.

[​IMG]

6. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    No.I think you did the right thing. That was a perfect time to switch. AND....[​IMG] You'll love it here! [​IMG]

7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    You're OK, I started weaning mine over at 16 wks on a 50/50 of grower finisher and Layena. It just worked out that way with what I had in the barrel and I figured might as well get them on the layer. They started lsying at 19wks.

8. Ed62

Thanks everyone. I'm sure I'll enjoy it here.

Ed

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Dora'smom :

I think you're okay switching over at this point. Your birds should be laying soon, and Layena is fine for laying hens. You'll also want to start offering some oyster shell separately once they actually are laying. The rooster won't need it, and won't eat it, but your pullets will.

+1​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by