Question from the new kid on the block

Ed62

Songster
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Calumet Township-NW Indiana
After browsing this site for a few days, it was an easy decision to join. Thanks to all for sharing the wealth of information.

Now to the question. We have 6 pullets and a cockerel (Speckled Sussex), and they are 18 weeks of age. Thinking they were close to laying, when we ran out of our Flock Raiser food, we bought a 50 pound bag of Layela, for laying hens. They seem to like it very much, but they are not laying yet. Did we make a mistake by taking them off the Flock Raiser? Maybe we should put them back on it?? Many more questions to come.
smile.png

Ed

I think you're okay switching over at this point. Your birds should be laying soon, and Layena is fine for laying hens. You'll also want to start offering some oyster shell separately once they actually are laying. The rooster won't need it, and won't eat it, but your pullets will.

You're OK, I started weaning mine over at 16 wks on a 50/50 of grower finisher and Layena. It just worked out that way with what I had in the barrel and I figured might as well get them on the layer. They started lsying at 19wks.

Dora'smom :

I think you're okay switching over at this point. Your birds should be laying soon, and Layena is fine for laying hens. You'll also want to start offering some oyster shell separately once they actually are laying. The rooster won't need it, and won't eat it, but your pullets will.

+1​

Back
Top Bottom