Question from the UK re transport

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NMbirds, Nov 2, 2008.

1. NMbirds

NMbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    Abiquiu, New Mexico
    In chat this morning the question came up about transporting or exporting fertile eggs from one country to another. Does anyone have reliable information on this topic? There are some Lavender Orpingtons and a couple of other UK breeds that appear to be non-existent in the U.S. and thus a few of us talked about the possibilities, legal of course.
    We know of such transport but would like to get an "official" position.
    I can check with British and US customs here and that may be the best source but if any of you out there have experience, could be helpful.
    THANKS in advance.
    [​IMG]

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Cant help to much on this topic.... Not sure on the laws !! But, I would guess if the eggs were "eating eggs" there wouldnt be to much of a problem !! you could pack them nicly in a cooler with other food items, LOL !!!! Might work !! Sorry I cant be of anymore help.... But if you do talk to British and US customs I would ask them what if they were for eating ??

3. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    If you are bringing the eggs in as "hatching eggs", the shipper must provide a health certificate of the flock. Unfortunately, this certificate has to state that the flock has been regularly tested for about 6 or 8 different diseases. My understanding from one Brit is that it is quite expensive to have the testing done. I wanted to tell him that they have no idea how much $$ they could make on Orpington, Cochin and Maran eggs from us here in the States. I'm sure it would far outweigh the cost of testing the flock.

Eggs do not have to be quarantined. There is also something about having a "broker"...don't know how that works.

On the APHIS site it gives the countries that you cannot bring in eggs or birds from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by