Question? Handicap bathroom

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mamawolf544, Dec 2, 2010.

1. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    OK just curious if anybody else gets mad, frustrated or thinks people are insensitive about able body people using the handicap stall?
    I have had numerous surgeries and when my RA acts up I really need that bar on the wall to keep myself steady so I dont end up in the floor. And I only use it after I have had surgery, or during the winter months when none of my joints listen to me. Otherwise I go to the regular stall.

I really get tired of going in the restroom and a Mother is in their with this HUGE stroller talking on the cellphone telling her 2 yr old in between gabbing to go pee-pee. [​IMG] In the handicap stall.
    Or there are 3 teenagers in there talking.

I have kid's. I have never, ever used the handicap stall for my kids. Get off the cellphone stand at the regular door like we all do and help little Suzy go potty. And leave that volkswagon of a stroller in the car, the kid's been walking 2 years now, put them in the buggy with the seatbelt. It is not rocket science. It says handicap.

And before someone fusses about the diaper changing stations being in their, they have 2 stalls in those bathrooms, 1 to give the baby a little privacy and 1 for people like me. [​IMG]

Off my soapbox now, I love Christmas I hate shopping in the stores.

2. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Accessible stalls were never intended to be reserved for the sole use of those with physical limitations. They were intended so that there is a bathroom that they can access.

This does not mean that these stalls were built for the sole use of a small percentage of the population.

There are many reasons that people use the wheelchair accessible bathrooms. A mother with toddlers along is a valid reason, as far as I'm concerned. A large person who is uncomfortable in a smalls tall is just as valid. A person who is uncomfortable in the confined space of a small stall is another reason. I've known people who are extremely claustrophobic and CANNOT psychologically use a small stall without having a panic attack.

Handicapped accessible bathroom stalls are not comparable to parking spaces. Bathroom facilities are intended to be ACCESSIBLE but not sole use. Parking spaces are sole use spaces. A lack of handicapped parking spaces can render some businesses completely inaccessible for the disabled. Waiting two minutes to use a toilet is not enough to consider a store inaccessible, though it may make it more difficult for some customers who have problems that make bathroom trips urgent. We don't try to eliminate all difficulties, though. We try to ensure reasonable accessibility. There is a difference between the two.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm sorry, I do use the handicapped stall when I am alone with my son and take him in with me, the regular sized ones just aren't big enough for 2 people, they are barely big enough for one. The local McDonald's regular stall is so small that you have to straddle the comode just to close the door....heck yeah I'll use the other one if no one is in it!

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

As a mother of a toddler I can attest that the small stalls are hard to maneuver in with child in tow. I agree with the above poster that the stall isn't just for handicapped people, it is there to make the bathroom accessible to the handicapped.

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I also use the handicapped stall when I have my daughter with me. If a regular stall is big enough, I use them, but sometimes they are just too small for two people to be in.

Also, I try very hard no to use public bathrooms, but if I have to, I hurry as fast as I can.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't use that stall if I'm by myself, but when I'm shopping with a couple of 3 year old grandkids, I do use it.....there is just not enough room in a normal stall for the three of us.

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I apologize that it upsets you and I can understand being frustrated if the person in there is taking a long time. I very often used the handicap stall when my boys were young. I'm not sure what buggy with a seatbelt you are referring to, but the places I shop didn't usually have an alternative to my stroller, and if they did, it wasn't nearly as clean as my stroller nor would it hold both of my boys (though I always used the cart at the grocery store since my stroller wouldn't fit all the items I was buying). I will use the handicap stall now as well if that is the stall that's open and there is no one specifically waiting for it. I don't think it's intended to be used only by people who need the extra space, bars, and raised seat. It just makes it easier for the people who do need them. I don't think of it as being reserved only for those people however. I think that if there is a line of people waiting and only one other stall, it would be ridiculous for people to avoid using that stall simply because they don't need that type of assistance. I do think that regardless of the stall someone is using, they should be as efficient as possible so that others aren't having to wait too long.

8. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    I use the handicapped stall too. The higher seat is easier to get up from and I don't hit my elbows on the wall while wiping.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Those stalls are not handicapped ONLY. By all means if I am waiting in line with someone who has an obvious disability, I am going to let them go before me. If there isn't someone, it is fair game. I use the handicapped stall because I am very tall. I like not having to squat down so far...LOL

It is perfectly reasonable to be annoyed at ANYONE who takes forever in a busy bathroom, but having a disability doesn't mean you never have to wait in line like the rest of us.

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I'm right there with you shelleyd2008. I use them as well and I'm not handicap. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by