Question ***Help*** Incubation question!

Spunky~Chick~Mom

Chicken Crazed!
10 Years
May 7, 2009
Mississippi Delta
Ok my quail friends!

I just purchased a hova bator 2362N with the fan circulation and also got 1610 egg turner.

Ok, I have only used someone elses hova bator before and just used the thermometer that came with it.

So, I'm trying to do it right this time. I have the one that came with it and I bought a thermo/hygrometer (or whatever). I put water where hova bator tells you to put
water.

Here's the question!!!

The thermometer that is sitting on the eggs is hovering just a smiggin under 100.
But the digital one. I ran the sensor down through one of the plug holes on the top. So it is just a little bit over the top of the eggs.
The humidity has not gotten over 40%, but currently 29%. And the temp on the digital one fluctuates SO much. right now it is 99.9, but when i started to type this it was at 97.9.

Is that normal for the digital temp to fluctuate so much?

And What do I do about the humidity?????? Add more water till it gets to 50%. I read some where the other day that a quail person had a better "dry hatch" at 35%.

Help me please. This is my first to attempt quail hatching and my other hatches haven't been that great with chickens either.

Indoor-outdoor digital is what I started with,& it fluxuated too. I bought 2 good outdoor thermometers & put them on each tray. They hold steady & I get a better hatch. I was constantly trying to regulate the temperature with the digital, but not anymore. Oh yeah, I don't use a hygrometer. I have a tub of water that the fan barely blows on, & my hatches do fine. I couldn't even begin to tell you what the humidity is, just that it's ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't try to dry hatch quail!!!! It works fine for chickens BUT you will wind up with dried yolk dead eggs if you dry hatch. I lost a lot of eggs trying to hatch quail like i do chicken. I keep my humidity at 40-50% in my hovabator, just add a little more water and keep vent holes plugged, if it gets over 50% pop out a vent plug. I trust the GQF thermometer way more that the digital ones. they can fluctuate quite a lot so i use them just for the humidity part which i have calibrated before i use it. Just be very carefull when hatching quail eggs. They are so much fun and so easy to hatch that it becomes more of an obsession than a hobby. Luckily for me after the first hundred quail my wife put me in REHAB
lau.gif

Thanks Ya'll!

My husband hasn't commited me yet....... But, I don't think it's far off.

Thanks! I currently have the humidity up to 40%. So, I am going to add some more water slowly until i get about where I need it to be.
I'm just a bit nervous about a low hatch rate already cause they are shipped eggs from three different sellers.

Thanks for being helpful!

IMO the probe type digital temp/ hygro are very inaccurate! Junk it and go get the small white all in 1 units from walmart for 8 bucks--- set it directly on top of your eggs and follow it. Just for fun run them both togather to see what a major difference in readings you get, especially in humidity.

Wow really, I passed up the 8 dollar one to get this one. I was trying to figure out how it would balance on the eggs while the are rotating on the auto turner.

But, i am also convienced that the one I have is garbage. I kept the package. So I think it is going back.

Thanks for the info!

The remote probe only measures what they call outside temp. To read incubator humidity the entire unit has to be inside the incubator, otherwise you are reading the room humidity.

Quote:
OH MY GOSH!!!!! I JUST JUMPED UP AND PUT THE WHOLE UNIT IN THE INCUBATOR AND IT INSTANTLY READ 86%.

I RAN AND POURED ALL THE WATER OUT OF IT AND STARTED AGAIN.

ARE MY BABIES IN DANGER???????

Back
Top Bottom