1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question? How long does it take for mother hens to get the antibiotics out of there system from chic

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 2907 Chicken, Dec 9, 2014.

1. 2907 Chicken

2907 Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    Hey guys
    I have a question recently I had two broody Australorp hens hatch two chicks would of been more but my miserable isa browns decided to squash and eat them. Now because there was only two one of the mums sought of gave up and because I was feeding them chick starter. Does anyone know how long it takes for the antibiotics to come out of her system so we can start eating and selling her eggs again

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I wouldn't think a good broody mama would abandon her chicks because you were providing them chick starter feed.

Is the broody mama the one getting the antibiotics and why?

Drug withdrawal is specific to the drug and should be noted in the treatment details.

3. 2907 Chicken

Aug 12, 2014
    Sorry that's my rubbish wording the chick starter I get has antibiotics in it and the mum has left the chicks for the other mum to look after so I was wondering how long it takes for the antibiotics from the chick starter to get out of her system

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Look at the label of the medicated chick starter carefully...what is the medication in it?
    Once you know the drug name google the withdrawal requirements in poultry.

It's probably amprolium, which is not an antibiotic but a coccidiostat meant to help build immunity against coccidiosis...and I don't think there's any withdrawal for eggs needed, but am not sure.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Not all chick starter is medicated. The label will tell you if it is.

Practically all the Medicated Chick Starter we buy is medicated with Amprolium. There are a few intended for Broiler chicks that can have some other medicine in it, but the stuff we get intended for a flock that will be a laying flock is normally only medicated with Amprolium. Read the label so you know what you are dealing with.

If the only medicine in the feed is Amprolium then you are not dealing with an antibiotic. Amprolium is not an antibiotic. It interferes with the reproduction of the bug that causes Coccidiosis in the guts of the chick by blocking thiamine. It helps keep the number of those specific Coccidiosis bugs from building up enough to cause harm. It does not kill any probiotics in the chick’s guts like an antibiotic would.

According to the USDA and Purina, there is no withdrawal period from the dosage in medicated feed before you can use the eggs. That is their fancy way of saying as soon as you stop feeding the medicated feed medicated with Amprolium you can use the eggs.

If there is another medicine in there, then you need to know what that specific medicine is before you can determine what the withdrawal period is.

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    There are no antibiotics in chick starter regardless of what you've been told.

Medicated chick feed has a synthetic form of thiamin or vitamin B in it. This is so the Coccidiosis parasites will be weakened.

It works because thiamin provides the food energy for Coccidiosis and the synthetic form of thiamin is like NutraSweet, it has no food value. Therefor the Coccidiosis organisms that baby chickens pickup from their environment are starved while still in the chicks' gut, which weakens them and allows baby chicks to buildup an immunity to Coccidiosis because the biddies immune system is fighting a weakened form of the Coccidiosis parasite. Look at "medicated" chick feed like it is a self produced and administrated form of Coccidiosis vaccine.

As a former President of the United States once said, (Paraphrasing) "The problem today is that too many Americans know so much that isn't true."

In fact there are no antibiotics in any off the shelf commercial chicken feed. This is a fallacy spread by those who wish to discourage you from keeping your own poultry.

Read post 4

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  7. 2907 Chicken

Aug 12, 2014
    Tthankyou

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by