1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question--How much Reglan? Answers for impacted crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coopMOM, Nov 24, 2008.

1. coopMOM

coopMOM Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    Chickens in the OC!
    It seems like many people are suffering with impacted crop. We had to do surgery on our hen two weeks ago for it. We removed quite a bit of stuff and saved her. She is still not eating well though and is really skinny. For those of you that might be facing this, I will tell you what we did for her medication wise below, but does anyone know the proper dosage of reglan for a chicken???
    Thank you!

I tried olive oil and apple cider vinegar with the mother and massage for a couple of days. This didn't work.

We did surgery. and gave her an anti-fungal ( Nystatin oral suspension, 1.5 ml, twice a day) and anti-biotic (we used a human one, which may or may not have been good, keflex, but my grandpa who did the surgery is a human vet.) She seemed to eat the hand-fed baby bird food called kaybee which you mix with water and feed with a dropper. also ate mash of cooked egg yolk, sifted lay mash to get out the big chunks, some unflavored yogurt, olive oil, and some fine sand. I gave her droppers full of olive oil and massaged after it wasn't painful for her. I also gave her a visitor after a week because she was lonely. I hope this helps and you have good luck.

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I hope and pray she makes a complete recovery. Good job!!!

3. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    0.5mg/kg reglan (metoclopramide) by mouth every 8-12 is a general bird dose- MAY help with crop emptying. It is a motility modifier (increased stomach emptying and movement down the GI tract- don't know if it affects the crop itself).

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by