1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question I need answered

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lowgap, Oct 27, 2009.

1. lowgap

lowgap Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    Monterey
    Hi I was wondering if someone could tell me how long it takes a chick to get all of it's feathers?

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Mine are almost 8 wks and all but two are fully feathered. My frizzles are taking thier time

3. lowgap

lowgap Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    Monterey
    Thanks I had no idea and we are starting ours inside...I was wondering how long they would have to stay in here [​IMG]

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Usually once they are fully feathered you can move them out. Mine are 8 weeks today and we just moved them out 2 days ago. I have been a nervous wreck because the weater just changed. It's been really cold at night. But they have been doing well.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Depends. I started my chicks outside, in a draft free shed. By two and a half weeks old (late April) they were living on the screened porch, with their heat lamps and a draft guard and doing fine. We took their heat lamp away at 5 1/2 weeks (mid-late May) and they were very close to feathered out.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mine grew up outside in a brooder pen. I just waited till about 6 weeks and took away the heat and light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by