Question: incubator, hatcher or both?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Peaches Lee, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, so I am wanting to try incubating eggs in an incubator. I have been doing lots of research, and find the threads here fascinating and full of info. Because I am so hard on myself and a bit of an extremist, I would like to go at this project in the best possible fashion I can percieve. So I have a few starting questions for those who have been there, done that.

Do you have an incubator preference, based on performance? I am looking at the Sportsman 1502 and the Brinsea 190 or 380. What I like about the Sportsman is that it has a package that includes a matching hatcher. I have read that a hatcher is best for optimal hatching conditions. However I also think that Brinsea might be a better incubator but does not have a hatcher that looks like the Sportsman hatcher.

Would you get the Sportsman package with matching incubator/hatching cabinets, or the Brinsea incubator and the Sportsman hatcher? Or would you do something totally different? I am not as concerned about cost as I am more concerned about the eggs/chicks having the best possible situation to incubate/hatch in.

This started out as thinking a Hovabator table top model would be fine, but the more research I do leads me to think, if I want to do this I should get something a little better. Once again it is about being hard on myself, and an extremest.

Your input, thoughts and ideas are very much apprieciated. [​IMG]

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Go with the sportsman.

You will not regret it.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I have 2 sportsmans running right now.. and I have a 3rd one I use as a hatcher..

get the bator that you think is best.. any of them will do as a hatcher.. they do not have to be a matching set, unless you are a stickler for asthetics..

I find that having a seperate hatcher really improves my overall hatches.. and it takes a lot of stress out of the equasion..

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

5. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you so much for your replies!!!! I value your opinions greatly. Glad to know 2 different brands can work together, the biggie for me was would the matching made for each other set be better. And yes anything that would relieve any stress is such a plus. I just want to go about it as correctly as I can. [​IMG]

6. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the link to Dickeys. This is in the lines of what I am looking for. I am thinking definately a incubator/ hatcher package. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by