question: letting eggs sit before bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Mar 26, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    My first eggs arrived in the mail this afternoon. My husband and I keep staring at them thinking we should put them in the incubator.
    BUT I keep reading on here to let them sit at room temperature for 24 hours.
    Weren't they at room temperature in the box? Won't delaying putting them in decrease their hatchability?
    It would be great if some one would explain the reasoning to me . . . fast . . . before we go crazy looking at them!
    Thanks

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I let mine sit till they don't feel cold, even if it's just 3-4 hours. Never has affected my hatch rates. You just don't want cold eggs put in a warm bator because of condensation.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    hmm . . . condensation, something we haven't thought of. But aren't they going to get condensation in the humid incubator? They do feel cold, should I put them in front of the heater, like not right in front - but closer? My husband says I should sit on them lol

4. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    For what it's worth, the instructions with my incubator suggest to allow the eggs to be room temperature (70F to 75F) before putting them in the incubator (otherwise there could be a problem with condensation or something). There is nothing suggested in these instructions about 24 hours. If your eggs are already room temperature then it seems to me it would be better to put them in the incubator now while they are fresher.

5. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    Gentle is always best. I would not put them in front of the heater but just let them rest in the room until they are room temperature and then put them in the incubator.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Mine never get water droplets/condensation on them, no. Cold item put into a warm environment will.

7. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    i thought the rest period was to get the eggs up to room temperature and to let the air cells adjust and get right again?

8. Orpington Poultry

Orpington Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    California
    I just let my shipped eggs sit for 4-6 hours at room temp. then into the bator.

Good Luck and Happy hatching.

K.

9. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I put them in! I feel like I did the first time I found out I was pregnant!

10. bearfeet3

bearfeet3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    What youre letting them sit for is so they get to room temp and don't "sweat" in the incubator. I think it's somthing about moisture loss, cant be good. 12 hours is fine, the don't really need the whole 24 unless youre using frozen eggs. ;]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by