QUESTION!! Mom Hen just laid her first egg

Grandchicks22

Chirping
Dec 18, 2022
Mom hen has 3 week old chicks and she just laid her first egg in brooder!

Is it time to separate and add her back to flock?

Attachments

• 2AA77113-7C04-4747-BC28-6B06909833A9.jpeg
    2AA77113-7C04-4747-BC28-6B06909833A9.jpeg
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 7
I leave my mom hens with their babies until the mom decides she done raising them. They usually know better than us.
Are they all totally separate from the main flock? I would make steps to integrate everyone together, if so.

Not necessarily. I've had a few hens that will start laying eggs again, but also still care for the chicks.

How many other birds do you have? Mother hens typically do a good job of integrating their chicks back into the flock with them.
We had to bring Mom and eggs in our shed just before they hatched bc unexpected freeze in south La which we aren’t used of so we were not prepared! She doesn’t go with our flock right now they have their own area but not with the flock. So this is where I was worried when to know she is done with them to start introducing her back to her flock!

She is raising my Silkie babies which is in a coop on the side of where she stays with my other big hens

I leave my mom hens with their babies until the mom decides she done raising them. They usually know better than us.
Are they all totally separate from the main flock? I would make steps to integrate everyone together, if so.
That’s my issue is they are separated from the main flock. Only bc the weather that hit us in South La. She is raising my Silkie chicks which will go in their own coop once old enough. I’m just trying to figure out the best way to make them all transition comfortably.

The new babies will have their own coop, mom will be introduced back with our other 9 hens.

Back
Top Bottom